35mm film developed or not

mal_aysia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
Once a 35 mm film has been processed does the original film remain in the cartridge after development. This is important as I was recently informed by Boots photography section that 9 old 35mm films I gave them had already been developed but on opening the first cartridge I found that the film was still inside and on holding it to the light I could see that it had been developed. Any help appreciated

Not normally, or at least, not that I've ever heard of; you have to take it out of the canister to develop it.

I can't imagine why someone would have developed film and put it back in the cartridge - that would hardly be convenient or easy to put it back in (and then to have to get it back out to use the negatives to make more prints etc.).

Are they by chance refillable cartridges? I don't know that anyone would have used those to store negatives but those might at least be more useable for that purpose.

When I've had film developed and had them leave the negatives uncut they get returned in a long plastic sleeve. I don't know how old your negatives were, if there was some reason that may have been done back in the day.

A lifetime ago I worked in a photo lab and I never put developed negatives back in the canister. That would be difficult and time consuming, we would just put them in a sleeve.

The only film type that I know of that is stored that way (after development) is APS.

Advanced Photo System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ah - I forgot about this stuff.
@mal_aysia - does the end of the canister look like this?
800px-KODAK_Advantix_APS_Film.jpg

(photo marked as creative commons, attributed to Aaronyeo)

I got a dumb question:

How does one develop 35mm film........ while it's still attached to the cannister? Wouldn't the cannister get soaked with the chemicals? And then wouldn't you have to rinse it out? I can't imagine trying to clean out a cannister through the light trap.

I got a dumb question:

How does one develop 35mm film........ while it's still attached to the cannister? Wouldn't the cannister get soaked with the chemicals? And then wouldn't you have to rinse it out? I can't imagine trying to clean out a cannister through the light trap.
No idea. Maybe the APS film is looped like 8-track tapes, which might explain why it isn't very common anymore.

I can't imagine why someone would have developed film and put it back in the cartridge - that would hardly be convenient or easy to put it back in (and then to have to get it back out to use the negatives to make more prints etc.).

Are they by chance refillable cartridges? I don't know that anyone would have used those to store negatives but those might at least be more useable for that purpose.

When I've had film developed and had them leave the negatives uncut they get returned in a long plastic sleeve. I don't know how old your negatives were, if there was some reason that may have been done back in the day.

The film is approx 10 years old. When I hold it to the light I can see that it is my wife and grandchildren opening presents. I assumed that unless the film had been developed then I would not see anything on the film when held to the light. I will visit Boots again and see if they can shed some light on the issue. I'm reluctant to break open any more films to check. Boots told me that if the arrow on the base of the film cartridge was pointing to number 4 then the film had been developed. In all the remaining films the arrow is pointing to the number 4. Having watched a video of a 35 mm film being developed it clearly shows a developed roll of film hanging up to dry prior to being fed into a film printing machine. The video takes place in a professional film developing lab and shows the cartridge still attached whilst the film is being dried. I would assume that the cartridge is then cut off and the developed film fed through the printing machine. Thanks for your input on this

Thanks for all the input from you guys. Seems I made a fatal mistake in assuming that the film was 35 mm, shows how much I know about photography. Based on input from members the films are indeed APS and that explains why the negatives are returned within the cartridge after processing. Thanks again

Yup, APS film
The film remains in the canister ... it was designed to store the negative. You are not supposed to pull it out yourself.

#4 means developed

KODAK: About the Advanced Photo System

IX240_Indicators.jpg
It appears that when the film is pulled out of the cartridge for processing that the process of pulling it out or rewinding it back into the cartridge changes the indication to number 4. Thanks for your inut

Most reactions

Back