35mm fils slr question???

domromer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need to have my head examined. For some strange reason I have signed up for a b&w darkroom class! I have been shooting digital since 1999 and sold my eos 3 back in 02. After a night of pouring through old b&w prints I decided I wanted to be in the darkroom again. So here I am looking to buy a film slr. The class is 16 weeks long and I plan on selling the camera once I finish the class.

I'm just not sure what type of SLR to get. I plan on getting it used of ebay and don't want to spend more than 150$.

I can't decide whether to get something like a mid 90's rebel for that price? Or an old school K1000 or Ae-1. What do you guys think? I currently have a d80, but was told my dx series lens won't work on a 35mm slr because they are made for the smaller digital sensor.

Tell me what you think.

If you get an old manual Nikon then the lens that you get for that will work on your D80 (although you might have to get them AI'd- not a bad or too expensive thing). You could also get a N8008 for a reasonable price (get the N8008s if you can find one because it has a spot meter) and then use auto focus lenses with it - all the better for your D80.

(the N8008 uses AA batteries)

have fun!

(I compiled this while Mike was replying, so apologies for the duplicate info)

If you buy a Nikon, then any lenses you get for your film camera are likely to work on your D80. As you say, your DX lenses will not cover full-frame 35 mm, and old manual bodies will not be able to adjust the aperture of 'G' lenses like yours.

Some recent eBay prices:

FM, motor winder & 50/1.8: $157
F3 HP & 35-70 zoom (not a bad lens): $254
Nikkormat FT[SIZE=-2]N[/SIZE] & 50/2: $100
F3 & motor drive, no lens: no bids at $178
EM body: no bids at $49
Nikkormat FT[SIZE=-2]N[/SIZE] body no lens: no bids at $69
FG body only: $50
FG & 28 mm E lens: $42
N8008 body: $23 to $43 (!)

And many many more. If you are interested in something like this we can go into lens & metering compatibility some more. Personally I'd recommend something like the FM, but that is just the thoughts of someone who uses an F2AS and a D40x.

Good luck,
Helen

Perhaps you should consider a film SLR that can share lenses that you already own. Even if your DSLR's lenses can't be used but lenses purchased for the film SLR can be used on the DSLR.

If it were me in your situation, I would simply look for a cheap "kit" on ebay--that is, someone selling a camera with a flash and several lenses all for once price.

Soon as the darkroom class is done with, you can either sell the equipment, relist it on ebay or donate it.

Jeff

Enjoy the class. Sounds like fun. I've both attended and taught many of them. Sounds very worthwhile.

So do you guys think a more modern but cheapish Slr is better than something like an AE-1 or K1000?

Why not? I think you can get an N90 for less than $300 if that is the case why bother with an AE-1 or a K1000 unless you are a collector (like me). And honestly I see nothing out of the ordinary about taking a B+W darkroom class I always enjoyed B+W printing and having that knowledge mkes you more well rounded anyway.

Pentax Super Program. Once again I am going to say that it's unequivocally the best student film camera.

Why not? I think you can get an N90 for less than $300 if that is the case why bother with an AE-1 or a K1000 unless you are a collector (like me). And honestly I see nothing out of the ordinary about taking a B+W darkroom class I always enjoyed B+W printing and having that knowledge mkes you more well rounded anyway.

It 's odd because I had my own darkroom for 5 years and sold all my equipment within 5 months of getting my first digital camera. I know it will be fun. It just seems like a taking a class in Model T maintenance.

I'm trying to spend around 100$ for camera and leans. If I were going to spend $300 I'd buy another EOS 3.

I guess I should have added that to my question. What's better a 5 year old camera that costs 100$ or a 20 year old camera that costs the same.

No. It would not (it is DX which means it is designed for cropped sensors, not the "full" frame of 35mm...).

As the previous answers seem to have got buried: Not only do DX lenses have too small an image circle (ie they won't cover the full film frame) but 'G' lenses do not have manual aperture rings, so the aperture will not be controllable if you put G lenses on many older bodies. You might be able to live with the smaller coverage, but not the lack of an adjustable aperture.

Re the other question about older/newer: I'd go for an older, simple, fully mechanical body (ie one that does not rely on electrics) instead of a newer camera with an electronic shutter and more features etc - but that is largely a personal choice and it is easy enough to carry a spare battery at all times for those cameras that rely on batteries.

Good luck,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back