35mm frames/photos?

Twisted_Whisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello there, I am new here, was said this thread might be the best place for my quest :)
I got a pack of old frames of some kind, I do think it can be old silent era frames. Might be theater or just normal day photos, I have no clue.
They guy that I got them from said they might be from germany..maybe... I do not know if he was joking. I did today take some photos whit my camera, I will try and see if I can scan them tomarrow.
I do show you some here, anyone know what this cam be from?

That photo whit the guy and that girl, that must be one of the most butiful pictures I have ever seen. I am a bit inlove in this kind of make up and era. The focus is way better ofc on the real frames then what my camera show.

Smaller.jpg IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0011.JPG IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0018.JPG

NEAT!!! These look like very old motion picture snips...pretty old-looking film!

NEAT!!! These look like very old motion picture snips...pretty old-looking film!

Yee I do think the same, only I wonder if one can find what movies they are from, then one know and what country they are from.

Looks like film editor scraps. Any writing along the edges of the film?

Well I do not think it is scraps, you mean like cut away on the cuting room floor. I do wonder if they just did just one frame then, there is a viewfinder that is made to just watch one frame. What is the point of watching scraps, if I understand right what you mean about scraps.

And I got to talk to the guy that I got them from again, he was joking about germany, they was found in a death house here in Sweden, so my info stop there, I do not know who lived there or anything.
BUT this do not really look to be from Sweden. It can be. It whuld make sence if it is from Silent Movies from Sweden.
My guess is they are promotion photos maybe.
But scraps can be right. and no there is nothing writen on them. Onyl thing that can be seen is some company letters for the film makers. not just that is stand that but like kodak you know. Not anything hand writen.

I will call the film socity here in Sweden and see if they wanna help me with this.

They did sometimes hand tint silent movie film. I saw something about it maybe on TCM, Turner Classic Movies. Seems like it was a feature on early movies and it showed people seated at tables with some sort of viewing machine they were using to hold the film while they tinted it.

TCM has Silent Sundays at midnight on Sunday nights usually, but this month is Summer Under the Stars so it won't be on again til September. Not sure if there's anything on their site about silent movies or not.

Maybe try the Eastman House museum in Rochester NY and see if their website has any resources on this. They have been involved in restoring old vintage movies.

This could be nitrate base film and potentially explosive and/or flammable. Check it out to be safe.

These do not look like film editor scraps...I used to work as a projectionist at two local theaters, one indoor, one drive-in. What the box looks like to me are unauthorized projectionist "frame snips" from actual theater prints. 35mm motion picture theatrical films used to be shipped in steel film cans (with heavy-duty handles, and strong latches), from theater to theater, on shipping reels. Shipping reels were thin, stamped steel reels. When a print came in, you'd prepare it, examine the leaders, review the film for damage, oil, and spalices, tears, etc.. and of course you'd make sure the reels were in the right order, and then you would load your projection drawers with the reels in numerical order. OIL on the prints was a common issue...many older machines had oil issues!

The film prints were typically initially transferred from shipping reels to projection reels using a hand-cranked rewinding machine, onto high-quality, precision-made, very sturdy projection reels (sturdy-high-precision, and marked in feet on the outside). During actual showings, most projectionists used a motorized rewinder, but for that initial "print preparation", hand-cranked machines were what we were told to use. This was of course, for reel-to-reel, two-projector systems that used carbon arc lighting, not modern-day, "platter" systems with a Xenon bulb and the entire movie spliced together on one gigantic film platter.

Notice the very interesting scenes and actors/actresses in these? I beleive that these are "snips" that some projctionist amassed from films of his era. That's my take. I've seen this before...I've seen literally dozens and dozens of prints come in with 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 frames "snipped" then tape-spliced...usually where there are 'interesting ' actors or actresses, in ' interesting ' scenes...

When you hand-wind with a crank machine, you literally feel the film edges, for splices, as you wind from shipping reels to projection reels, and when you do encounter a mid-reel splice, as well as EVERY leader splice! you stop and quickly check and make sure each splice is GOOD, before you project it! The last thing you want is a crappy splice that some id'jot made ruining the presentation.

Last edited:

Notice the very interesting scenes and actors/actresses in these? I beleive that these are "snips" that some projctionist amassed from films of his era. That's my take. I've seen this before...I've seen literally dozens and dozens of prints come in with 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 frames "snipped" then tape-spliced...usually where there are 'interesting ' actors or actresses, in ' interesting ' scenes...

I have been working with movies this way too as a projectionist at both a nonrewind and two reel shift place as you.
Right they come and you splice maybe 2-3 reels togheter and save one frame on the one you cut away. so you know the start slide goes back again on the right reel.
So I guess this is what you mean, that some toke an extra frame from the starts and ends off some reels and put them somewhere and collected then as personal thing, or maybe they where alowed to do that. If you take out one frame from 24 it do not happend so much really. Over all the movie is now shorted. Take out 3-4 we are starting to see something, but maybe not even then. At the start when I was working I toke some frames like this. Then I felt, no this is nor right to do and stoped....sadly...might had a box for the future like this I have :p
This is in fact a real time capsle I have...

This could be nitrate base film and potentially explosive and/or flammable. Check it out to be safe.

Yee I did check one to see, a bad frame was cracked, I put fire close to it and POFF!!!! crazy. BUT all are very very very well stored, somehow over all this years, most times if this frames is stored togheter like this, they can melt togheter and starts a fire. Many do think that you store this best in a metal box maybe, looked in. BUT NO.. best is to have them in somewhere in a not to hot place that let in and out air. or let out the gas that this films make. So yee dangerous things. Many film archives and cinemas burned down because of this type of film. That have now left us whit sooo many silent movies, we will never ever see...

I did try my normal home scanner, it did not scan that good or that big. It did not get so hot and this frames are soooo well preserved, I do not get it how they still can be this clean. Like this frame look at the holes, have this even been played ? And dose she not look a bit like Mary Pickford? I do not mean it is her, but it reminds me of her. So this photo I think because of the clothes can be put to a year right?

I did talk to the film society here in Sweden and they waned to help me scan this and archive them. I just needed to wait a week for the man in change over it, but the guy I talked to was very forward and saying this was really interesting and I calling them was totally the right thing to do.

02.jpg

Most reactions

Back