35mm help! orange pictures, blurry pictures.

nonay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got found an old Olympus OM10 in my mom's garage and I have been trying to learn how to take pictures with it. A lot of the pictures that I took turned out tinted orange. I realized that all of the orange tinted photos were taken inside. I don't have a flash. Is there any way to take photos inside without a flash that won't turn out orange?

A lot of the photos were blurry too, but I think that was because the shutter stayed open too long on those photos. The OM10 has an automatic shutter control, so I can only control the F-stop. I know that the f-stop should be on a higher number in brighter areas I think... Well any tips in this area would help! Thanks!

Hello and welcome!

First you need a tungsten balanced film to take shots indoors Unless you are using a Fuji 4th layer film which will be able to be used indoors, outdoors and under fluorescent lighting as well. These aren't available at under 400 ISO, which is what you need for indoors anyway.

You can also get help to get rid of the motion blur with higher ISO film as long as you set the ISO on your camera.

I'm sure there will be others along shortly to further explain but for now, good luck!

mike

Thanks for your help. I wasn't even thinking about the ISO of the film.... I will take that into consideration now. How can you tell if your film is tungsten balanced?

The ORANGE tint is caused by the fact that the film is made for sunlight use and the electric light is actually a much "warmer" (Orangey) colour. There are films made for tungsten lighting. or you can use a blue (82 series ) filter on the front which will "Cool" the "colour temperature" down (Make it less orangy).

Tungsten balanced film USUALLY has the letter "T" in the title. and will say so on the box.

http://www.steve-pearce-photography.com/colourtemperature/index.htm

The link is not great. But will I hope give you an idea.

Hi again Nonay, the Fuji supra 400 will work anywhere you shoot it- that I know of anyway. The supra is a consumer grade film but has a nice grain, if for some reason you want a pro grade film then Fuji has the same tech on some of there Pro films too.

I am not aware of the same tech from any other manufacturer but there may be. If using other film the films intended usage should be printed on the box.

mike

I will try to find some of the Fuji supra 400 and shoot that. I'm not looking for any pro grade at the moment, I'm just experimenting. The film I was shooting with was kodak gold 200 speed. Is Tmax considered tungsten balanced? I used tmax for my black and white photo class but I guess black and white film doesn't have to be tungsten balanced. Thanks again for the help!

T-Max is a mono film. As such there are no colour casts. It only comes into play with colour film, that will reproduce the colours recieved by the emulsion, without the help of a brain attached to the system which will help interpret the information.

Most reactions

Back