35mm Lenses/Which to keep for Digital?

PMPHOTO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I could really use some advice. Im switching over to Digital. Im thinking about a D90. My uses would be mostly pleasure.Occasional wedding, Landscape,family shots.I know nothing about digital,so I don't know which of my lenses I should keep.I know they will work,but
how well? I see new lenses listed as DX VR I don't know what this means. If I keep my 35mm lenses,will they be as good as the VR DX newer lenses? If not, which 2 newer lenses should I look into?
Budget? Hmmm Maybe $500 could go higher but would rather not at this point.Although I guess I could sell some I my lenses and go higher if I had to. I hope some of you will please take the time and help me out. Im really stressed over this. PLEASE HELP ME
This is what I have: AF ED 28-200 3.5-5.6 G IF
AF 70-300 4-5.6 G
AF 50mm 1.4 D
AF 24-120 3.5-5.6 D
AF 24-85 2.8-4 D
AF 28-105 3.5-4.5 D IF
THANK YOU SO MUCH,
FRED

DX means it casts a small image circle and will not work on a Film camera or will reduce the usable resolution of a full frame camera. VR means vibration reduction.

Looking at the list as side from the overlaps there's no reason to dump them. Old lenses work just as well as new ones, but in all cases it's a case of build quality. You'd get crap and excellent lenses in both old and new. Try them on the new body, see how well they work, and make up your mind then.

One thing to note is the D90 has a sensor that is 1.5x smaller than a 35mm film frame. This means all the effective focal lengths you know are multiplied by 1.5x and thus none of your lenses are really considered "wide angle" even though many of them are wide angle on 35mm cameras.

If you'd have to buy a new lens I would look at augmenting this by adding something like the Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 IF-ED DX. This would give you your wide angle back and likely replace the 24-85, 28-105, 24-120, and would match your 70-300, 50mm, and your psycho superzoom the 28-200 quite well. Just note it won't work on your film camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back