35mm Negative Storage: Binder pages? Or polypropylene sleeves and envelopes?

35mmSlideFan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to organize all of the old extremely disorganized 35mm family negatives. Before I buy anything, I'd like to know what is truly considered the best method for the negatives themselves.

Most people seems to store their 35mm negatives in binder "pages" like these:
....and then put them either in a an archival binder or box.

However, there is also this option of polypropylene sleeves in envelopes:
(or these, currently out of stock, from PrintFile: 35mm Negative Storage Kit - NSK35 | Print File Archival Storage )
....and then store those in archival boxes.

Without making cost a factor, is either method better or worse than the other for the negatives? Which is best for very long term (dare I say "permanent") storage?

(I do feel like the binder pages are likely more cost effective...)

Many thanks.

I've been using Print File's and 3 ring binders since the 80's with no problems. I use the 6 strips of 6 since it I shoot nothing but 36 exp 35mm film and only shoot 36 images. I would think the other method will work just as good.
I also use Print File's pages for my 120 and 4x5 negs as well.

I've been using Print File's and 3 ring binders since the 80's with no problems. I use the 6 strips of 6 since it I shoot nothing but 36 exp 35mm film and only shoot 36 images. I would think the other method will work just as good.
I also use Print File's pages for my 120 and 4x5 negs as well.
Very helpful -- thank you!

I think it just depends on if you want to store them in acid free boxes or in ring binders. I like stacking boxes on a shelf more than binders but if I had a reason to keep some in a binder I'd do that too. I mostly mark in general what's in the box, which events, year, etc.

I have some of those boxes from Archival Methods; also some for prints that open at one end so you can slide something out without opening the lid (I find that sometimes useful).

I hadn't seen those on Printfile's site, now why did you have to show me those??! lol just tempting me to spend my money...!

Whew, good! it's on backorder! That takes care of that temptation for now. But I bet I'll remember later to look at it again.

I think it just depends on if you want to store them in acid free boxes or in ring binders. I like stacking boxes on a shelf more than binders but if I had a reason to keep some in a binder I'd do that too. I mostly mark in general what's in the box, which events, year, etc.

I have some of those boxes from Archival Methods; also some for prints that open at one end so you can slide something out without opening the lid (I find that sometimes useful).

I hadn't seen those on Printfile's site, now why did you have to show me those??! lol just tempting me to spend my money...!
Haha!

Thanks for sharing your opinion -- it seems that both methods truly are equally good and it's just a matter of personal preference.

I use the appropriate formatted poly sheets for 36-35mm, 10-6x7 medium format or 2-4x5. They're easy to hold up to the light to see what's there. You can throw the whole sheet on a scanner to get quick contact sheet prints. I also keep the settings information on another regular sheet that I punch three holes and put next to the film sheet in the binder. That way everything is all together.

I use the appropriate formatted poly sheets for 36-35mm, 10-6x7 medium format or 2-4x5. They're easy to hold up to the light to see what's there. You can throw the whole sheet on a scanner to get quick contact sheet prints. I also keep the settings information on another regular sheet that I punch three holes and put next to the film sheet in the binder. That way everything is all together.
More great advice -- thank you!!

I've used ring binders since the 1960s. I used (past tense as I don't use 35mm any more, preferring large format) the Paterson proof printer to give contact sheets that I filed next to the negatives, held in sheets which are the equivalent of the Print File ones.

I like the Print File sheets for large format because they make contact sheets simply a matter of laying the whole sheet on paper or the scanner.

I use print file sheets without the binder rings and store the in a box

Most reactions

Back