35mm too tight, need wider lens

maggie83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been the owner of a d3400 and 35mm lens (both refurbished) for about a week. I'm still learning the settings, but I can already tell that the 35mm is a bit too tight and isn't as wide as I was expecting (still gives me some great pictures though). What's a good budget-friendly lens that would well with wider shots? (For instance, turning to someone in the car next to me and taking their picture) I've been using point and shoots for years, so a lens with zoom isn't really a concern of mine...just something a little wider.

Define 'budget lens' in terms of money.

For some, $100 is a 'budget-buster'. For others, $10,00 is pocket change.

Well considering that I bought the lens and camera refurbished, "budget friendly" is more on the side of $200-150 or less. :)

Ignore my response I think my head is screwed on the wrong way today :allteeth:

Last edited:
Is auto-focus a requirement? If not, there's where you could save a boatload of cabbage.

I think OPs definition of wider than 35 would be 28, or 24 or 18mm. Not 50 or 55 as the widest.

The kit lens is a 18-55mm VR lens which generally used go for less than $150 and would work in the situation you mention.

I think OPs definition of wider than 35 would be 28, or 24 or 18mm. Not 50 or 55 as the widest.

The kit lens is a 18-55mm VR lens which generally used go for less than $150 and would work in the situation you mention.

Good catch, I can't read lol

Nikon 18-55mm used should be under 100$
A lens I would recommend is the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8, its a bit over your budget and its a great fast and sharp general use lens, worth the extra cash when bought used, this is a lens I would feel comfortable to shoot a wedding with on my D3300 if I had to.

If you prefer primes, a 24mm or even used 20mm might do well

For instance, turning to someone in the car next to me and taking their picture
ask the paparazzi.

find a cheap 18-55mm VR. You should be able to find one well under $100.

I've looked into a 24mm, but there's a lot of them out there, and I'm still trying to understand what works/doesn't work with my d3400. Will it still be wide enough on my camera? B/c I was under the impression that the 35mm would be a great wide-angle, and it turned out too tight for my taste.

I've looked into a 24mm, but there's a lot of them out there, and I'm still trying to understand what works/doesn't work with my d3400. Will it still be wide enough on my camera? B/c I was under the impression that the 35mm would be a great wide-angle, and it turned out too tight for my taste.
for simplicity, you need "AF-S" identified lens for full AutoFocus compatibility on your D3400.

AF/AF-D will *not* AutoFocus, they require a motor inside the body, which are only on the d7x00 series and higher cameras.

so a few examples of Nikon lenses
24mm => Nikon 24mm f/1.8G AF-S ED Nikkor Lens

20mm ==> Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED Lens

I agree with astroNikon.
Go with the 20mm lens in my opinion.
Remember that photography is expensive. To get good results sometimes you need good equipment.

For what the OP described "(For instance, turning to someone in the car next to me and taking their picture)" I would suggest a cell phone. Wide angle lenses are particularly unflattering for closeup portraits.

Most reactions

Back