35mm vs 50mm showdown

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into buying a light and compact lens for street photography, it should do well on both people and buildings. I've narrowed it down to 2 Nikkor lenses: the 35mm and 50mm both 1.8G. They are both great lenses, but wich one has the edge? Who performs better outdoors? :popcorn:

It's going to be a matter of which focal length will work better for you.

walk around with your 18-55m set to 35mm, then 50mm. Which works better for you? Buy that one in f/1.8G.

Is focal length really all that is different from these lenses?

The 50mm 1.8G performs better overall, but it's a toss-up for the most part (because the 35mm 1.8G also performs extremely well).

On a crop body, for walk-arounds, I actually like both focal lengths. 35mm gets *EXCELLENT* shots, but occasionally I want the extra zoom of the 50mm. I'd say for walk-arounds and general photography, the 35mm offers more versatility.

I think one of these two lens combinations would work very well (if you're thinking ahead and want to leave room for a "next" prime lens purchase, and don't want your purchases to overlap based on their purpose):

1. 28mm 1.8G + 50mm 1.8G + 85mm 1.8G
2. 35mm 1.8G + 85mm 1.8G

This is a very hard choice. I want to have the Superior quality of the 50mm, but i've also got filters well worth 150CAD that would only fit the 35mm. I don't quite know what to do with my 52mm filter collections?

I think the 35mm is my lens. This will permanently replace my kit lens and i can keep using the filters i've already got.

What size filter does the 50mm 1.8g take? My 50mm 1.8d takes a 52mm filter.

Between the 50mm 1.8d and the 35mm 1.8g, I find the 35mm preforms slightly better wide open, and the only problem there is chromatic aberration in areas of high contrast. With the 35mm it is in the corners and fixable in pp. With the 50mm it is throughout and not fixable.

Both lenses are great stopped down slightly or shooting something less contrasty. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

What size filter does the 50mm 1.8g take? My 50mm 1.8d takes a 52mm filter. Between the 50mm 1.8d and the 35mm 1.8g, I find the 35mm preforms slightly better wide open, and the only problem there is chromatic aberration in areas of high contrast. With the 35mm it is in the corners and fixable in pp. With the 50mm it is throughout and not fixable. Both lenses are great stopped down slightly or shooting something less contrasty. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

58mm

Iv got the 35mm and cant get enough of it, It stays on my camera at all times and only comes off for when I'm playing around with Macro. It is extremely light, picture quality is fantastic, Iv not used the Nikkor 50mm but have a Sigma 50 macro that I occasionally use for portraits and even then most the time I swap it out for the 35, you can crop the 35 if needs be, but sometimes you may not have the space to stand far enough back for the 50mm. Every one is different in their approach to these things so good luck.

I don't understand why its a 58mm filter?

Yes. The shorter the lens, the more apparent the differences become.

For example, you'll probably not notice a world of difference between 100mm and 135mm - but 18mm, 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm are all noticeably different.

First they make budget lenses and slap a D on them that don't autofocus on entry level dslr's, then they put a 58mm filter size on the 50mm G version. :madass: /end of rant.

58mm is a pretty common filter size. I think I only have two lenses that take a filter of a size other than 58mm...

Yes. The shorter the lens, the more apparent the differences become.

For example, you'll probably not notice a world of difference between 100mm and 135mm - but 18mm, 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm are all noticeably different.

I don't think that the focal length is the only difference. The 50mm is a fx. That's not a 50mm on a crop sensor, is it?

I don't think that the focal length is the only difference. The 50mm is a fx. That's not a 50mm on a crop sensor, is it?

Whether a lens is designed for FX or for DX, it converts the same.

A 50mm FX lens on a DX camera is still a 50mm lens. However, the crop factor makes it effectively 75mm (if the crop factor is 1.5x).

A 35mm DX lens on a DX camera is still a 35mm lens. However, the crop factor makes it effectively 52.5mm (if the crop factor is 1.5x).

Most reactions

Back