35mm vs 50mm showdown

Is focal length really all that is different from these lenses?
Yes. The shorter the lens, the more apparent the differences become.

For example, you'll probably not notice a world of difference between 100mm and 135mm - but 18mm, 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm are all noticeably different.

I don't think that the focal length is the only difference. The 50mm is a fx. That's not a 50mm on a crop sensor, is it?
The focal length is the focal length regardless of which sensor it is in front of.

On a crop sensor, the field of view is basically just cropped from what you would see on a full frame sensor. Because of that, it will appear to be longer on smaller formats.

50mm is considered "normal" (close to the field of view of your eyes) for the 35mm format. On a crop sensor, "normal" is probably closer to 35mm (it's the diagonal of the sensor, whatever that is).

Isn't the focal length of 43 what your eyes see?

Isn't the focal length of 43 what your eyes see?
I don't know that there's an exact standard on it, but that's probably close. 50mm is usually considered normal, even though it may not be the exact number.

Whatever format you're using, "normal" is the diagonal of the sensor. Full frame is 24x36mm. The diagonal of that is 43.27mm.

(a²+b²=c²)

First they make budget lenses and slap a D on them that don't autofocus on entry level dslr's, then they put a 58mm filter size on the 50mm G version. :madass: /end of rant.

umm.. The 50mm 1.8D came out in 2002. Back then there was no 'entry level DSLR' :) .. It replaced the 50mm 1.8 AF that came out in 1986. It really wasn't made as a budget lens.

$DSC_1850.JPG$DSC_1877.JPG$DSC_1894.JPG$DSC_1896.JPG

Here are some photos I took with a school trip to Grand Rapids Art Prize last month. Camera was a D7000; lens was a manual focus f1.4 35mm Al-s. I find I lose too much with 50mm on APS-C when I’m working the streets.

If you want to avoid buying filters for each size, get them in the largest size and use those stepper rings (or whatever they're actually called) so you can put it on any lens. They are a couple bucks on ebay.

I realize you already have filters but in case you buy any more...

This is a very hard choice. I want to have the Superior quality of the 50mm, but i've also got filters well worth 150CAD that would only fit the 35mm. I don't quite know what to do with my 52mm filter collections?

If the filter size on the new lens is larger, simply buy a thread step-up ring. I bought one so I can have a 77mm filter on my 52mm-threaded lenses.

RE: Step-up rings...

I once followed the "buy filters in the largest size, buy step-up rings for the other lenses" advice, and I regret it. Most of my lenses use a 58mm filter. I regret that most of my filters are not that size.

More expensive, yes. But having filters that are the right size is nice too. Sometimes you can't use a step-up ring - lens hoods are one example - forget about using one if the filter is larger than it needs to be.

The whole point of me buying a compact lens is to keep things light and non-invasive. But its good to know that i can use stepper rings.

First they make budget lenses and slap a D on them that don't autofocus on entry level dslr's, then they put a 58mm filter size on the 50mm G version. :madass: /end of rant.

umm.. The 50mm 1.8D came out in 2002. Back then there was no 'entry level DSLR' :) .. It replaced the 50mm 1.8 AF that came out in 1986. It really wasn't made as a budget lens.
!!!
IpXT3I9.gif

I have the 50 and love it. For street and buildings though I wish I had the 35 on my d7000. If I were fx then it would be great for that too. Also the 35 is a bit better in low light. I briefly had it and tested because the seller mistakenly sent me it instead of the 50.

It's going to be a matter of which focal length will work better for you.

walk around with your 18-55m set to 35mm, then 50mm. Which works better for you? Buy that one in f/1.8G.

Good idea! But I think we should keep discussing the difference in sensor size of the FX body Hamlet is never going to buy.

Since I have a D600 now, my D5100 is basically married to my 35mm lens.

Ideal though would be a 24mm lens. Unfortunately the only available option for that is extremely expensive.

walk around with your 18-55m set to 35mm, then 50mm. Which works better for you? Buy that one in f/1.8G.

Good idea! But I think we should keep discussing the difference in sensor size of the FX body Hamlet is never going to buy.

Believe me i prefer to get the 50mm, but i will be stuck with my 52mm filters i won't be able to do anything with.

Believe me i prefer to get the 50mm, but i will be stuck with my 52mm filters i won't be able to do anything with.

for a while there I had a lenses with filter rings for: 52, 55, 58, 67, and 72mm. I just bought a 72mm CPL with a 67mm step down so I can use it on my three most used lenses.

Most reactions

Back