35mm vs 50mm showdown

What about the lens cap? Won't a step-down ring impede the lens cap? How about vignetting?

What about the lens cap? Won't a step-down ring impede the lens cap? How about vignetting?

Yes, using a step ring would require that a smaller lens cap be used. I think that a 58mm to 52mm step ring, when used on the 50/1.8 G-Nikkor used on a 1.5x camera is NOT going to have any kind of an issue with vignetting due to the step ring; the vast majority of the outer periphery of the lens's 43mm diameter projected image circle will NOT BE recorded when the camera used has an APS-C sensor...so there ought not to be any issues with vignetting with a 50mm 1.8 stepped down to a 52-mm filter thread by way of a step ring.

The lens hood on the 50/1.8 G mounts to the outside front of the lens, and not to the filter threads, so that's not a worry either.

I have both lenses and I find my 35mm on my camera 90% of the time. Being on a crop sensor I find the 50 just a bit to tight for my particular subjects of choice.

Your mileage may vary.

I have already made up my mind about the 35mm. The only reason why its up for consideration is because i want a light and non-invasive lens that i can shoot with when i'm in the city for hours on end. A shaky and tired arm is the last thing i want when wielding a humongous zoom lens. Everything has its time and place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back