"39" - An Urban HDR

JakeE2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First post! I'm really excited to become part of this large community to learn and explore my interest in photography with others.

Anyway, personally I think people overdo HDR, wayyyyy overdo it. But I do still enjoy and appreciate it. Heres an HDR I generated from a single RAW file two days ago. I like the original without the HDR, but it give it a little more punch IMO. I also did a little tweaking in photoshop before outputting this final version (vignette, levels, etc.)

EDIT: Newer version
4498839838_26b1933ec3_b.jpg

Last edited:
Your highlights are fine but your shadows are too dark for me. Also not a fan of vignettes unless there is a reason which I dont see here. If this were a street scene or woodland setting the colors would be over the top but for this picture they are right on.

The added detail and contrast from the processing makes it a bit more gritty (I'm assuming - haven't seen original) and goes with the theme. There's a little bit of distortion from the wide angle but it's not bad.

Thanks for the criticism, I really appreciate it.

Bynx - creating a dark scene is kind of a habit of mine, but I definitely see your point. As for the vignette, I feel it gives the photo a different feel, more isolated if that makes any sense. But again, I appreciate your comments

reznap - thanks for pointing out the distortion. I just googled the problem (although sometimes its adds to a photo so its not a problem) and found out how to remove it. I'll try to eliminate this in the future

Your highlights are fine but your shadows are too dark for me. Also not a fan of vignettes unless there is a reason which I dont see here. If this were a street scene or woodland setting the colors would be over the top but for this picture they are right on.

Geez, I'm surprised you've never ripped one of my shots apart! :sexywink:

Its probably because you pull it off alot better :lol:

I just skimmed your Flickr, and its shots like yours that I try to replicate, that cinematic feel.

this has more of a grunge feeling and i like it very much, but i have to mention a simple fact, one file does not an HDR photo make (prodon the grammar). Yes, one can take one photo, as you have done, and create a similar finished look of an HDR photo, but it is just that "the look" .

I bring this up as it becomes very confusing for beginners to understand techniques, etc.

Disagreeing with a particular effect is hardly ripping the work apart. I liked the highlights and the color. Its just the darkness is too much, and thats just my opinion. Its a dreary scene as is. I dont feel that extra darkness or the vignette edges is warranted. Besides that I dont think Ive seen any of your work.

this has more of a grunge feeling and i like it very much, but i have to mention a simple fact, one file does not an HDR photo make (prodon the grammar). Yes, one can take one photo, as you have done, and create a similar finished look of an HDR photo, but it is just that "the look" .

I bring this up as it becomes very confusing for beginners to understand techniques, etc.

One RAW file contains enough information to make an HDR. Using one file still creates three different exposures required for HDR. Its not like I took a JPG and photoshopped it to get that "look." In some situations, this wouldn't be possible because of the large dynamic range of the photo, but in my case one RAW file worked fine because there wasn't alot of dynamic range in my subject.

You might be correct in saying a single Raw file contains enough information to create an HDR in your photo because the range isnt that great. Where there is a great range like sunshine and heavy shadows the same cant be said to be true. Raw will give you a similar look, but its not as accurate as using 3 or more Jpeg files.

jake,
I suppose i didn't make myself clear, an HDR photo is one that is made from a series of single exposures to cover a total EV range that can't be capture within one shot.

Taking 1shot with RAW and making 3 expsoures will of course allow you to tonemap it and create the look you have accomplished. The look is working, but it does not contain a long tonal range that one would find in an HDR image or in fact the need to make three expsoures from 1. You can get the same look with 1 exposure.

That's cool. Must be something about the number 39 and these type of photos:

4520533438_bfe165631f.jpg

Most reactions

Back