Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by eal76, Mar 16, 2016.

1. eal76

eal76 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. pixmedic

pixmedic I am the Lord thy Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the industry has been "dying" for decades, like every other industry that has to change with modernization.
    this was the same question asked when roll film was replaced with canister film and people started shooting weddings and portraits and other events with the cheaper 35mm "budget film and cameras" instead of the traditional medium format. the 35mm film format opened up photography to a much broader spectrum of people in the same way that modern, inexpensive digital cameras have.
    this is not a new phenomenon.

I do think there is a two-fold issue that affects photographers directly.
    first, everyone has a camera in their pocket now. compact, smart phone, mirrorless....and everyone is taking pictures. of everything. everywhere. at all times. everyone is a photographer now.
    which leads to problem #2. people dont know what "good" pictures are anymore. that's really a loaded statement though, as "good" is subjective. what is good enough for one person may not be for another.

I dont really think the industry is dying, per se, it just requires the right amount of work, sales, and business sense.
    Im glad me and the wife stopped doing weddings. I was starting to hate photography, and having to explain to someone almost every week that I was not going to do portraits for them for $40, or TFP their wedding even though a dozen Craigslist/FB photographers would.

being a Paramedic is far easier than being a wedding photographer for 10 years was. Less stressful too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. snowbear

snowbear . Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I understand the same thing happened with smaller publishing companies in the '80s when desktop publishing came about. The same thing will happen to book publishing: a time will come (sooner than later, I bet) when fewer physical books will be published in favor of e-books.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Poppycock! The industry is in a Death Spiral. Death Spiral I say! I know because I read it on the internet. Lol

Not at all my cup of tea either. I think there will always be those who recognize the benefits of hiring a professional, and those that will wind up with a lot of bad snapshots and regret it for years to come. I doubt there's much that can be done to change that, other than specifically designing a least a portion of your marketing towards education some of the later and convincing them to become some of the former.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ronlane

ronlane What's next? Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, that just helps adds to my list of why I don't shoot weddings. Bridzilla, Mother of Bridzilla, Don't want to be THAT guy.

In realization, I've decided that for a senior session or just family portraits that it's work. Don't compound that with pressure of having to correctly capture THE moment at an event of a lifetime for a couple. (Yeah I know with todays divorce rate this is over dramatic but they all think it will last for them.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. robbins.photo

Photos OK to edit
    Wow.. see, now that's a marketing campaign. "Remember, marriage is the event of a lifetime, assuming your average lifespan is the next 5-10 years. So don't trust those precious memories to your dipstick cousin who you wouldn't even trust to ride in a car with, or some guy on craigslist that will shoot your wedding for $99.95. Ten years from now, when your staring down the barrel of an ugly divorce, you'll want to be burning quality wedding photos."

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. ronlane

ronlane What's next? Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Dang it, you caught on to my scheme to make tens of dollars. But you forgot about the discount for shooting the ugly divorce proceedings. (half price under 5 years, 75% if it's between 5-7 years and 10% discount from 8-10 years)

8. cherylynne1

cherylynne1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The best part of my divorce was throwing out the hideous wedding photos that a "photographer friend of the family" took. Finally, I didn't have to look at them every day... I didn't know anything about photography back then, but I knew that they were the worst pictures that had ever been taken of me.

9. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Not dying, exactly but changing a bit. Not everyone will budget for a professional photographer, not realizing the difference between an experienced, competent professional and a "friend with a camera".

I do think you missed some sales by not "selling" properly. I think you need to become familiar with some fairly common sales techniques that will mean the difference between "just looking" and "signers".

Perhaps if you had told the young woman that "if you want photos that look like this one, you need to hire us."

There are proven ways to close the deal with curious shoppers.

I once worked for a man who couldn't design his way out of a paper bag, but he always had new clients (never repeat clients) because he knew how to promote himself.

The time spent learning sales techniques pays off.

10. robbins.photo

Photos OK to edit
    My grandad always said, best way to get rich quick? Come up with a scheme that sounds like it might work to get rich quick and then sell it to a bunch of idiots who think it's actually possible to get rich quick.

Though this whole "Divorce Photographer" notion does have some merit. Not a well served niche after all.. lol

11. bribrius

bribrius Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    for the average person yes, for the upper scale clientele no. ??

12. xenskhe

xenskhe No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Friends can 'do wedding pics' now because w/photography has departed from the understood framework of what it depicted and how it was done. The snap modus has taken over. It's unsurprising this kind of things is now regarded as shootable with an iphone.