3D picture

nagoshua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This happened completely by accident, nd im not sure if it will happen again because i havent really experimented or messed about with the pics. Anyways, i took a snap of a mushroom out in the woods, i tried one shot with a wide aperture to blur the background and one shot with the background in focus, now, heres the cool part; When i look at them on lightroom and move back and forth between the 2 pics as fast as i can the picture looks 3D, similar to them pics you used to look at as a child with the red nd blue glasses. Maybe someone else would want to try and see if this is just a one off.

I have actually seen something like this done. Someone would take two pictures at different angles for each eyes and you put them right next to each other and cross your eyes and it pops out at you

Yeah, it's called stereo photography.
Where two images of the same subject, but one is taken slightly to the right are put side by side and cause an illusion of a 3D image.
I can never see it though, I'm crap with optical illusions.

What you've discovered is Wiggle Stereoscopy.

A great uncle of mine developed a mordern device that takes two photos simultaneously with both lenses an eye width apart. You look at the photos through an especially built viewer which is backlit. He showed me some pictures from the 50 or 60s in Tokyo and New York and I've never seen anything like it before or since. I've never got such a vivid sense of being somewhere when viewing an image - and to see this in images captured from before I was born is quite something else!!!

Interesting, what my uncle showed me has nothing to do with staring at two images for long enough so something comes through. His was a cemra with two lenses and you viewed the processed image through something akin to binoculars. This perfect 3D image is right there just like you were looking at a scene with both your eyes - no effort required.

It's the same thing only your changing the focal point with your eyes instead of through lenses.

What you've discovered is Wiggle Stereoscopy.

A great uncle of mine developed a mordern device that takes two photos simultaneously with both lenses an eye width apart. You look at the photos through an especially built viewer which is backlit. He showed me some pictures from the 50 or 60s in Tokyo and New York and I've never seen anything like it before or since. I've never got such a vivid sense of being somewhere when viewing an image - and to see this in images captured from before I was born is quite something else!!!
Was he one of the inventors of the infamous "ViewMaster"? I actually had one of those red ones when I was a kid. Ah, brings back memories...
http://images.google.com/images?q=viewmaster

Stereoscopic is the side by side images, and a form of 3-D.

The White camera took slide film and then they were mounted side by side and you looked through a special viewer. It looked like it had depth. Stereo Realist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_Realist

The Nimslo, which I still own, took four images and then you sent the film in for processing, they put a layer with facets over the top, and the picture looked 3-d. The print was actually sliced into very thin strips and re-assembled.

The antique stereo viewers, had two photos taken a slight distance apart, so the parallax created an illusion of depth.

Two images were used in the Wiewmaster the same way, then view with the two eyes. They were Stereo Vision. It was a modern stereo viewer, using back lighting, which made it stand out more.

The most basic 3-D image works when two identical flat images are viewed from two slightly different angles using a lens. The right eye sees the right image. The left eye sees the left image. The brain interprets the image from both eyes as depth.

Below are some common 3-D terms:

Anaglyph glasses: The traditional cardboard red-and-blue lenses used to view black-and-white 3-D movies, comics, and images. The two images are printed on top of each other, but offset. To the naked eye, the image looks blurry, but when the glasses are worn the image is clear and has depth.

Hologram: A 3-D photographic image made with a reflected laser beam on film. It has a variety of uses including security measures on credit cards.
Lenticular: A multi-layered image merged into one layer with a special lens over the image. When moved in a particular direction, the image appears animated and three-dimensional. Used on everything from postcards to comic book covers to religious icons.

Polarized glasses: Used primarily at IMAX films and 3-D laser shows, these silver lenses are cut at a 45-degree angle to show depth in two- dimensional images.

Stereoscopic: Any 3-D format.

Hope that helps?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back