3rd part Mb-d11

leelorimor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a battery grip for my Nikon d7000 and found several off brand ones for much less $. Anyone know of any drawbacks to the non-nikon ones? Quality, functions, or anything else?

I've heard a lot about the battery latch tabs breaking off. Mine did, but I replaced it with the parts from the AA tray. Mine also has the read command dial reversed.

But I paid a whopping $60 for mine.... far better than an OEM for a pair of c-notes.

I think the 3rd party ones are all pretty much made in the same factory and then different brands are slapped on them. I tried the Mieke one but it didn't work for long and the camera started malfunctioning. However, others have had good luck with them. the MB-D11 housing is made of metal where the 3rd party ones I have seen are made of plastic. I have a MB-D11 now and it works perfectly as it should considering its' price. Try the 3rd party one and if it gives you trouble, send it back and get the MB-D11. That is what I did.

Several current threads on MB D-11 clones. Though some like 'em, most would admit that look-a-like isn't necessarily work-a-like. They're all-plastic and just don't equal the build quality or durability of the real deal. Used MB D-11s are starting to surface.

If I was shooting 5,000 frames a day hand-held, using the images to pay my bills; I'd certainly get an OEM grip. But the truth is, I shoot less than 10% hand-held, and my work barely supports my NAS let alone pay the rent. So a 3rd party grip is a better option for me.... allows me to spend a bit more of my disposable income on more important gear.

I've had a Meike grip for my D7K for a couple of months now. So far no problems. I paid less than $50.00 for it thru Amazon. The command dials work the same as the ones on the camera itself. As far as the battery latch tabs go, yes they are fragile. Just be really carefull with them. Bottom line, if I were making money with my camera, I'd go with the Nikon grip. For my use right now, the Meike works.

Thanks everybody for your opinions. I am an amateur photographer and I think I'll try the off brand for now and see how it does.

Most reactions

Back