4 8gb cards or 1 16gb card?

I get at least 800 images on a 4GB. Probably a LOT more than that. I have around 500 from my D40, 200 from my D40x (roughly) and still room for 150 more on the D40X.

Depends what you're shooting, RAW+JPEG fine gets me a touch less than 200 images on a 4G card. You can eat through that in a big hurry depending on what you're shooting.

I have standardized on 8 gigabyte CF cards now. According to one technical guru whose word I trust, the biggest danger with CF cards is them getting "zapped" when they are pulled out of the camera, so the fewer card swaps, the better. I do not worry about that too much, but I do make sure the camera is OFF when inserting or ejecting a CF card. What I like about 8 gig cards is that a full one will *always* fit onto two DVD's.

You can fit 8.5GB on a dual-layer DVD if your burner supports the dual-layer (DL) format.

I can fit approx. 655 raws from my D80 on an 8GB card. That's more than enough for what I do, but I do have an 8GB and 4GB card for backups just in case. I've never come even remotely close to filling up one 8GB card.

I would just get the 8GB ones, that's plenty. Plus, you don't want to lose 16GB of images if the cards goes TU.

4 8gb cards > 1 16gb.

One in the camera, and then if you have a wal mart close, you can get an aluminum card case for $5 to keep them safe and all in one place in your bag.

Why have all your eggs in one basket?

I can get about 1000 raw images on a 16gb

Then again, if its a reputable company, you have less to worry about. And dont forget, there are programs out there that will allow you to salvage some dead cards and you dont have to pay until you get the pictures off of it.

The other consideration is write speed.

I will take a singe 8MB card that writes at 30MB per second over 4 that write at 4MB.

Most reactions

Back