4 Climbing

asherexplore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got around to editing another chunk of climbing stuff.
The first one is pretty much an experiment, im not a big fan of the photo to start out with but i worked on it for awhile and am curious what yall think.
im curious which of the last 2 you like better also...
please be picky if you feel compelled to do so, I would much rather know what you dont like than what you do like about these..thanks
(1)
BradD-colorless.jpg

(2)
Cam-Lost.jpg

(3)
Cam-SpaceCowboy1.jpg

(4)
Cam-SpaceCowboy2.jpg

Well, you haven't posted a single thing yet that I didn't like and these are no exception. I love your post-processing. It would be awesome if you explained a little about what you do.

If you want nitpicky:

1- I like the concept, but I wish the hand was sharper.

2- The crop feels a little tight, but on the other hand it adds to the climber's body-language, like he's squeezing himself into the photo.

3- Wish there was a little more room on the left, like in #4. Great emotion on the face though.

4- nothing to nitpick on this one - its great as is!

1 -ehh, should've used a standard lens, doesn't seem very fitting for a lensbaby.

2 - looks contrived, looks like it was done in a studio.

4 better than 3 - more breathing room in the composition.

Thanks for the specific responses guys.

In #1 it was a real out of focus shot and had bad camera shake.. I don't know what a lens baby is. I just photoshoped it a lot trying to make it interesting.

#2 I croped tight on purpose, there is more room in the original, its such an odd pose, he is geting ready to jump. I like the tight crop because I think it fits how weird the rest of the shot is.
You said studio?? Why?

I do regret croping as much of the left side, agai there is more room on the original.

Man I wish when I took all these that I would shot then in raw...

The 2nd looks contrived because direct sun is not that soft and if it was overcast, the light wouldn't be from his side if he's looking up, and he does seem to be looking up because that pose i would think is impossible if he's on his side.

And with the way the light falls off behind him, it looks like strobes were used.

Sw1tch,
i guess i see what you mean. i think i am satisfied with how i've pped it.. but it could always be better..
if you dont mind im going to post the original too..that way you can see what i've done. what would make this less contrived for you?
do you think my color adjustments are ok?
think i just went to far overboard on my lighting adjustments??
thanks for your time

this is right out of the camera..
Cam-Lost-orig.jpg

oh, and i just checked other photos from this set.. it was a bright sunny day, we were in the shade of a huge tree with a dense canopy..

The 2nd looks contrived because direct sun is not that soft and if it was overcast, the light wouldn't be from his side if he's looking up, and he does seem to be looking up because that pose i would think is impossible if he's on his side.

And with the way the light falls off behind him, it looks like strobes were used.

Fourth shot is my favorite by far. I love seeing these, I might go up to the indoor climbing place here and try some of these...... ya know, no mountains here. :)

I like these shots, my only nit pick i ls the first one, it's very obvious that you photoshop it. While the effect is cool, it doesn't look natural like the way the camera would have given it to you.

yea, thanks.. i had to do something drastic to it.. the camera gave it to me in really bad shape ;)

I like these shots, my only nit pick i ls the first one, it's very obvious that you photoshop it. While the effect is cool, it doesn't look natural like the way the camera would have given it to you.

well #1 is my fave of the bunch, the blurring communicates a sense of desperation to me....the others are also good, just a bit tight on the crop for my taste. I really like your processing though.

Good luck with that.
Indoor gyms are usually a nightmare.. Really low lighting and tons of loose chalk floating in the air.

Fourth shot is my favorite by far. I love seeing these, I might go up to the indoor climbing place here and try some of these...... ya know, no mountains here. :)

Most reactions

Back