40d to a 7d? help!

rider81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok so i currently have a canon 40d but i have thee money now and am thinking about upgrading to a 7d. from all the reviews ive read, the 7d is outstanding, but.... is it worth the money going from a 40d to a 7d? is there that big a difference? if i dont get it ill prob end up going with a new lens. if anyone has made the upgrade from a 40 or 50d to a 7d please tell me what u think. or any comments/feedback will be just as helpful. thanks

The only problems I have with it is something I have with many canon cameras. Crop frame sensor + high MP = eh results. It's a much better camera but if you could save up for the 5D Mark II and that will be a huge improvement as the 7D will just be eh. It is a better camera, no doubt, but worth the upgrade when you could save up a bit more and get the 5D Mark II? In my opinion, no.

What features are you looking for, that your 40D doesn't have?

Obvisouly, the 7D has a boat load of megapixles, and shoots HD video, but it's not going to magically make your photography any better.
And as mentioned, these tightly packed, high MP sensors really need good quality glass to make the most if it. What lenses do you have now?

well right now all i have is the kit lens, sigma 10-20, and canon 50mm 1.4. it seems just comparing quality of photos that the 7d has a major step up in quality. do yall think that with my lens now that they are fine and 7d would b a good upgrade? or not as much?

I'd put that upgrade money into upgrading your kit lens-- that would give you a real jump in quality. The 40D is more than enough camera to produce extremely high quality images, so chances are the 7D isn't going to give you the huge boost that you think it might.

i dont know nothing about canon camera but they compare it with the d300,

if you upgrade IMO you should save up and go for a FF camera

well right now all i have is the kit lens, sigma 10-20, and canon 50mm 1.4. it seems just comparing quality of photos that the 7d has a major step up in quality. do yall think that with my lens now that they are fine and 7d would b a good upgrade? or not as much?

I don't think you will notice much difference, the most difference will be focus speed and frame rates

If I wanted to buy a camera just to shoot sports, I'd be awfully tempted by the used 1D2 and 1D2N models floating around. The prices are dropping like crazy.

edit: except that the crop lenses wouldn't work on APS-H

Last edited:
Nooooo, currently you do not have the glass to take full advantage of a 7D, or even your 40D. I say use that money to get some top quality glass, maybe a 17-40L or something to upgrade your kit lens. I wouldn't spend that money on a 7D unless I had the top quality glass to take advantage of the resolution.

I strongly suggest you spend it on some good lenses. JMO

ok thanks guys its helped me out tramendiously. yes im currently shoot mainly sport like races. specificly drift events, and motorcycle road racing. i believe i will get a new lens. thanks again for the help. im sure later down the road i can just save up more and get a ff.

Most reactions

Back