41: Cameras and State Funerals

kmitch4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone have experience with cameras and State Funerals? Has anyone ever tried to bring a DSLR to a state funeral? Can you get close enough to take any worthwhile photos? Are there any item/bag restrictions within a certain perimeter? Is there anything else worth considering before attending? Especially related to photography at the National Cathedral?

Hello and welcome, just use a long lens then you will not bother anyone.....

Hello and welcome, just use a long lens then you will not bother anyone.....

He's talking about the funeral for a former U.S. President. I don't have the answer for him either, but I'm not sure that "just use a long lens" is going to be that helpful in this case!

Does anyone have experience with cameras and State Funerals? Has anyone ever tried to bring a DSLR to a state funeral? Can you get close enough to take any worthwhile photos? Are there any item/bag restrictions within a certain perimeter? Is there anything else worth considering before attending? Especially related to photography at the National Cathedral?

I think your best bet would be to ask the police who will be making sure everyone is safe for when the Funeral of G.H W Bush starts.

Last edited:
I saw guidelines for President Bush lying in state in the rotunda of the Capitol (tonight thru Wed. a.m.) that said no cameras, no recording devices, etc. etc. (not sure which network's website). I'm sure they'll be checking bags etc. I saw some of the viewing for McCain and they had military personnel stationed at both ends (and maybe each side?) of the casket and on the hour I think they changed guards (and you could tell they stopped the line of visitors briefly each time).

There are guidelines on the site for the National Cathedral ('Thou Shalt Follow the Rules' - I'm not making that up!) but those are for general camera use, not necessarily for a state funeral. For McCain I don't remember noticing anyone with cameras during the service.
Photography at the Cathedral - Washington National Cathedral

I would think on a public street where people are watching the procession go by it would be possible to take a picture of the motorcade.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back