430EX probeloms

heltskelt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've had a DSLR for less than a year - a rebel XSI. So I bought the Speedlight 430EX refurbished.

The red light flashes. (I'm pretty certain that it's the red eye fixer.) However the flash itself doesn't go off.

I followed all steps in the manual for attaching it. Which I'm sure I've done correctly, as it seems to make a light humming noise. However when I press the pilot button, I don't get a red light, and as I stated before, no flash.

Under trouble shooting it suggests that you:

a.) Install batteries correctly.
b.) Make sure the batteries are juiced.

The LCD works, so neither of these are the issue.

c.) Clean the speedlight/camera contacts.

Neither of these appeared dirty, but I did some light dusting with my lens cloth, which didn't work either. Is there a better way to clean it, without causing damage?

I'm new to DSLR's and even newer to speedlights, so I was wondering if I've missed a crucial step, such as setting an option in the camera menu, or if I bought a bum refurbished speedlight. Because if it's the former, I'd rather avoid the hassle of trying to get a refund or replacement.

Welcome to the forum.
The red light is a focus aid, not for red eye reduction.

Are you sure the batteries are charged up? It takes a lot more power to fill the flash's capacitors than it does to run the LCD screen. Try fresh batteries, just to be sure. Does the flash fire when you press the test button?

Another thing to check is if the flash is set not to fire. I believe this is a custom function setting in the camera, not the flash.

Did you try using the flash off-camera? I have two 430EX Speedlites and after I install the batteries and turn it on it will hum/whine while charging up the capacitors but once the red test/pilot light comes on I can test fire them.

I don't recall a custom function that prevents them from firing.

Personally, I think you got a bum 430EX.

Do you have the flash in SLAVE ? I'm not too sure but I don't think the flash fires on-camera when in SLAVE mode. Worth a try =D

Mike, Sam, and Maul -

thanks for your quick reply's. I got my speedlight back out, and threw some fully charged batteries in that sucker.

And it worked.

For a second I felt stupid, but I was more relieved than anything. Thanks again.

Also, the flash works great. I can't wait to get some real usage out of it.

Mike, Sam, and Maul -

thanks for your quick reply's. I got my speedlight back out, and threw some fully charged batteries in that sucker.

And it worked.

For a second I felt stupid, but I was more relieved than anything. Thanks again.

Also, the flash works great. I can't wait to get some real usage out of it.
Were you using rechargeable batteries (NiMH)? When the NiMH batteries in my 430EXs get low the Speedlights will turn on and seem to function (LCD is on and icons are visible), but the pilot light won't light up and pressing it produces no test flash.

Glad it was only the batteries and not something more serious.

Cardinal rule of inoperable tech- is it powered?
Glad it works though.

Remember that most NiMH batteries will discharge by themselves over time. So if you haven't used them in a while, they are probably dead and need to be charged.

Glad to hear you figured it out.

Most reactions

Back