5-10 yrs to get my own studio...now help me improve my plan

Renol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been shooting with an SLR for 3 years now and very seriously for the past year. My skills are improving but I'm still just an "advanced amateur" so obviously I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting a wedding at this point.

After some searching I've come up with a plan. Obviously, keep shooting and don't stop. I know a degree in photography won't help me get my own studio but I plan on taking a few classes to widen the foundation of what skills I have now. Also I plan to take business classes (at least what would be included in a 2yr degree) so I know what I'm doing when I do get to it.

At 27 I might be a little old to simply be an assistant to a photographer but I'll see what further training and/or seminars I can attend to advance my skills.

As for my final goal of photography, shooting people/events can help me along for a while and I'd like to offer product photography on a limited basis. The product stuff would be nice to do for businesses and eventually for published magazines. Not looking for fame and fortune mind you, but enough to make a living and establish a reputation for myself.

So, is there anything else in this plan that I'm missing that would be good to take care of now so I don't immediately wind up over my head?

I think the business (& marketing) will be the big one. If you can be a good businessman, then the rest should be a lot easier.

Photography is a crowded marketplace...it used to be enough for a photographer to just have the gear, a studio and to be competent in photography & business. These days, with so much competition, marketing is more important than ever and if you can develop an eye catching photographic style, that would be helpful.

I'd suggest joining some photographer's association(s)...PPA etc.

Your biggest problem is that hundreds of other people got a DSLR for Christmas this year in your area that think they can do the same thing

At 27 I might be a little old to simply be an assistant to a photographer but I'll see what further training and/or seminars I can attend to advance my skills.

You're not too old. In fact, you're more dependable than someone younger. The only problem might be the income you presently need.

Seminars are a GREAT idea, especially those presented by working professionals.

And don't worry too much about what others in your area are doing. Take care of what you're doing and forget about the rest.

Good luck!

I think the business (& marketing) will be the big one. If you can be a good businessman, then the rest should be a lot easier.

Photography is a crowded marketplace...it used to be enough for a photographer to just have the gear, a studio and to be competent in photography & business. These days, with so much competition, marketing is more important than ever and if you can develop an eye catching photographic style, that would be helpful.

I'd suggest joining some photographer's association(s)...PPA etc.

Ok I'll have to look them up. Thanks for the advice.

Your biggest problem is that hundreds of other people got a DSLR for Christmas this year in your area that think they can do the same thing

lol Yea that's true. It's also why I'm gonna work for several more years cuz I KNOW I've got a ways to go.

You're not too old. In fact, you're more dependable than someone younger. The only problem might be the income you presently need.

Seminars are a GREAT idea, especially those presented by working professionals.

And don't worry too much about what others in your area are doing. Take care of what you're doing and forget about the rest.

Good luck!

Well most people do weddings on weekends/holidays so maybe I can do some work that way. Thanks for the other pointers as well!

Most reactions

Back