5 minute test shoot

dizzyg44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, New house means I get to finally have room for a little bit of a studio.

Brand new strobe lighting, homemade muslin and support stand using my old crappy SV light stands and pvc.

Too make things more challenging, I used my wife's Powershot G10 for this to prove to her that her camera doesn't suck (plus my camera's batteries were charging). I've never used it before, she's never even taken it out of auto herself. :lol:

Anywho, here is the shot I'd like C&C'ed, 100% straight off the camera, net even cropped.

3604624707_87c51b1a5e_o.jpg

Here's my makeshift studio, The muslin is doubled over. It's long enough to continue covering the entire floor. I also have a white in the same size.
3605445904_c2567fcc85_o.jpg

Another...I noticed the highlights slightly blown, but I love the separation between subjects and BG.
3604626109_5b8f53cc49_o.jpg

Subject not that interesting I know, but just from a lighting standpoint how is it?
3604627449_de74bce97b_o.jpg

Last edited:
The lighting is nice and even. The thing I don't like is the skin shine. You could try getting those lights closer to your subjects to soften it even more, or just messing with positioning.

Oh, and I'm jealous of your lighting set-up. -.-

well well... i think il lbin the DSLR and buy a compact :p

Thanks,

as for the lighting setup, don't be jealous. It's brand new to me and has been a little problematic. It's not a high end one at all, but it's not the cheapest kit I could find either.

it's the B&H impact kit, 2 400's and 1 100, 3 stands, 1 boom stand, umbrella's, 24" softbox, Quantam trans and rcv'er.

The short sync & adapter connection sucked, but a new one from radio shack to eliminate the adapter. The forward most strobe sometimes stopped firing as a slave as if the IR sensor quits working. The ring mount on the 100w is different than the other two so I can interchange the softbox (the strobes are the same brand but different mounts make no sense to me). The battery in the transmitter was dead.

They stop working when on my wifes G10 sometimes (after 15 min use). I press the shutter, no fire but they fire w/o fail using the test button on the trans.

I mean, I knew these weren't going to be high end, or even mid range, but for almost 700 bucks I expect at least 100% designed functionality.

I will said that the outward appearance of build quality is far better than any of the SV brand equipment.

well well... i think il lbin the DSLR and buy a compact :p

:lol:

I'm guilty of also not using the viewfinder on it also, live view baby....:lmao:

There is one cool thing about it over my D90, it works great over 1/200 with flash since it's an electronic shutter. I would kill to be able to go over 1/200 on mine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back