50% chance of rain+1st wedding

mel02monroe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have my first wedding shoot on Saturday and there is a 50% chance of rain. I was hoping just to rent an above-the-camera flash and light meter and hope for the best. Now i should also find some trash bags to cover up my camera and such and also use an umbrella. The wedding is at 10am and it doesn't seem like they have an alternate place if it rains since they said to make sure to bring an umbrella in case it rains... Any suggestions for me? For an outdoor wedding, is the equiptment that i am renting going to be enough if the weather works out? If its rainy and dreary am i going to get crap photos anyway? I have had lots of experience with low contrast shots when the weather is dreary.
THanks, any suggestions would be great.

I always have some plastic bags and shower caps to cover my gear if I'm caught in the rain. Bring as many umbrellas as you can find. You might need one and you will be the hero if you bring some out for the bridal party.

I haven't shot in the rain very much...but I am thinking that you would have to be careful of using flash. The flash might reflect off of the rain drops and create spots all over the image. Without flash, rain drops will probably not show up much at all.

If it's rainy and dreary, you will have to do the best you can to capture the day. They will probably be unhappy about the weather at the time...but they may look back in the future and have a good laugh.

If they do go ahead with the ceremony in the rain, make the best of it. You will probably want to find a dry place for the formals though...even if it's some one's house or hotel room etc. Be prepared for anything...they may decide that they have a backup location at the last minute.

Christie Photo said:
and... PROTECT THE GEAR! If it's raining... water in the air... my stuff stays in the cases until we're back indoors... period.
I'd second this - who wants to remember themselves on their wedding in a rainy day running from a car to the reception hall?

But if they are going ahead with the wedding...in the rain. I think it's your (our) responsibility to document the event...that's what you are being paid for. Figure out some way to keep your gear safe and dry. If it gets ruined....well that's why we have insurance and why Camera makers have pro bodies that are sealed against things like rain. When doing a job, we have to consider our gear as tools for that job. Sometimes tools are worn out or broken on the job...it happens in all industries.

I think there can be some great opportunities for great & memorable shots when it's raining. Here are a couple from a few years ago...

Attachments

• $R&N-003001.jpg
    $R&N-003001.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 104
  • $R&N-004001.jpg
    $R&N-004001.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 117
over thirty very odd years, I have stood in the rain, leaky tents, and just plain terrible places to make photographs.

I have to agree with Mike here. If you take the money, you should be willing to do the job. Now I don't mean you can't do it from under a big big umbrella. I also don't mean you can't ask a guest to hold it over you.

But in the end, if You take their money, you are obligated to find a way to do the job. That is unless you told them upfront."Hey Lady I Don't work in the rain." I doubt many of us would give any negatives to prevent a contract from being signed. If I was a prospect and someone told me in effect, "EVen if you are stupid enough to get married in the rain, I'm not going to risk my equipment for you." I have to take my business somewhere else.

I know that nobody wants to risk that kind of valuable equipment, and not many people will really get married in the rain, but if they do and you signed the contract to provide the service, I don't see how you can refuse. I have stood in leaky tents to shoot weddings more than once. And I stood in the pouring rain once even. But to me it was all part of the cost of doing business. I didn't have any equipment damage but I was shooting film cameras to.

That's just one man's opinion, which isn't worth much since I don't have to make that kind of decission anymore

Hey now! There is a 50% chance it won't rain!

The very first wedding I ever shot was on a beach. As soon as the couple said "I do" the rains came down. Living in Washington we are used to it but this was in July. I ended up using trash bags, ziplock bags, and whatever I could get my hands on to keep things dry.

Now I have a slick rain cover that I never use because I tend to stay out of the rain now. Golf umbrella and someone to hold it while you shoot, ziplocks, whatever keeps the stuff dry. Good luck.

Big Mike said:
Figure out some way to keep your gear safe and dry.

That what camera cases are for.

Oh, I'd still make photographs, but my mama taught me to come in out of the rain. I'd do it indoors. Most folks around here know better too. If I ever come across a couple that would ask their family and guests to stand in the rain for a cermony, they'll have to rely on memory and any photos I can make from indoors.

There have been times when I've had to deal with rain, but WE JUST DIDN'T STAY OUT IN IT! My last one was an outdoor ceremony. It began to rain 20 minutes before the scheduled time. Everything way moved inside... for just a little while. It cleared up in 15 minutes, so everything was moved back outside. We started about 10 minutes late, but we weren't wet.

Canon says the operating range of my cameras is up to 80% humidity. I'll take them for their word.

Pete

BTW.... REALLY nice shots with the umbrellas, Mike! The second one is way cool!

Thanks Pete.

My Mom always told me "your not made of sugar, you won't melt". I'm the type of guy who would put a plastic bag over my camera and stand out in the rain getting photos of people trying to run for cover. :lol:

I don't know what my 20D is rated for, humidity wise...but I had it with me (with no case) when I got caught in a torrential downpour in the rain forest canopy in Costa Rica. The inside of the LCD even started to fog up...but it dried out just fine with no ill effects. Not something I'd recommend but it's nice to know that it can stand up to that.

Have a good weekend.

So the 50% chance of rain turned out to be a low 50% and it was cloudy and even sunny at times that whole morning for the wedding. Apparently the flooding of the roads the night before was enough for one weekend. It was a great wedding and I got some decent pictures too!

Most reactions

Back