5000 Years of Irish History

Renair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.renebruunphotographer.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
An old land, an ancient land, the land of our fore-fathers, the lands of our future children, Eiré (Irish for Ireland). A little bit of Irish history and building work.

The Burren, the West of Ireland, this part of the modern Emerald Isle lay at the bottom of the ocean floor of 1,000,000 years ago. It stretches for over 250 miles and the landscape is almost lunar looking. It grows some very rare plants and flowers which can only be found in one other place on Earth, the Artic Circle.
Burren-Formations11.jpg

Over 90% of Ireland at this time was forest land. The early peoples, the Celts build the first structures pre-dating the pyramids back in 3000BC and sames of these can be found in the stoned circles of Knowth and Newgrange. (KNOWTH BELOW)
Knowth-Chambers.jpg

The main structure at Knowth which has several rooms in it has over 250,000 tons of stone layered in different layers and covered with earth to form the roof of the structure. On the outside of the structure is large stones, each one weighing in at over a ton and with unique carvings that are thousands of years old...
Burial-Rocks-2.jpg

Now we move up a few thousand years to 700AD and to the small island located off Howth Peninsula in Dublin, Ireland's Eye. Here we have the remains of an old church on the island, St Kevin's.
St-Kevins5.jpg

About 1200 years later we come into the 1900's, Ireland was battling the English to get them off our lands as we have been doing for 600 years previously when they first invaded Ireland. People were poor and worked on the lands as farm workers etc and lived in old thatched cottages, however back in those days, they would not have been painted so bright!
The-Blue-Cottage1.jpg

However the British were not all that bad, they did leave us with some fine outstanding buildings such as the one below, Trinity College in Dublin.
Trinity-Campus.jpg

Where in the past, Ireland had sent its children abroad due to famine and later lack of employment, now we take them back and we open our arms to the peoples of other nations into the modern Island we have today...
Abbey-Street-LUAS5.jpg

So you see, this tiny little island on the far west of Europe is deep with history and stories yet to be told. However even in this modern time, people still get left behind in the hussle and bussle of modern life.
Left-Behind42.jpg

At the end of the day, we were Celts who were invaded by the Normans, the Vikings, the British and now it's tourists, and we all know why they came.... Sure, isn't it for our Guinness!

René Bruun - Photographer and Irishman!

A very enjoyable (and educational) series. Thank you for sharing! I would love to be one of those tourists one day. :)

It was moved from the Photo Themes to the Photojournalism Gallery.
I feel you can't really start a theme thread on Irish History, since only few would really be able to contribute, but you are telling a story, so I decided to move it here.

I am surprised that you don't have a few of the many round towers of Ireland from the 1500 BC period and before.

skieur

The old church is my favorite.
The colors come to life.

I really like the second last one as well.
The selective color works great to put more contrast between new and old.

Definatley a place to add to my 'must see' list.

Thank for such great pictures and information.

Most reactions

Back