500px rubbish?

BrickHouse

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am astounded at the dramatic quality difference of photos that people load to 500px. The large majority of the photos on there are pretty incredible. They are very obviously taken by a professional or very talented hobbyists. What amazing though is the absolute utter rubbish that people will load up thinking that they can hang. I like to peruse the "fresh" section and I just don't understand how people think their photos are even in the same class of most of what's there. It's one thing to post to flickr for your family/friends to view or a forum to get C&C, but completely different to post to a place like 500px. Anyway, my observation for the day. [/rant]

I only post my best work on 500px and it still never holds a whistle.

but some people use it as a general photo sharing site and I don't find that's the purpose of it.

I dont like how now 500px tries to get you to purchase framed photos that are posted on it now.

500px is a very mixed bag. I think they greatly favor the over saturated UWA shots and heavily composite shots over a well done simple shot.

Yeah, but even just the amount of out-of-focus, poorly composed, poorly exposed pictures. I can give leeway for things that just aren't my personal style, ok the overdone HDR, the photoshopped to hell, the whatever. Ok, not my style, no prob. Some of it though, looks like it came out of a 2-year-old that stole dad's camera and started clicking.

500px is growing. More people from all across the photography spectrum posting there is a part of that growth. With every redesign at Flickr 500px sees a surge of new users.:mrgreen::lmao: If you really want to view quality work swing by 1x. That site is curated so only approved photos make it to the generally viewable pages. Anyone can start a portfolio there, but if your work doesn't get approved no one will see it.

Yeah, but even just the amount of out-of-focus, poorly composed, poorly exposed pictures. I can give leeway for things that just aren't my personal style, ok the overdone HDR, the photoshopped to hell, the whatever. Ok, not my style, no prob. Some of it though, looks like it came out of a 2-year-old that stole dad's camera and started clicking.

Hey now, I've seen some two year olds do good work...

:lol:

No chance in hell am I starting a 500px now. I'm not anywhere near where I'd want to be-I don't wanna be the guy that posts a ton of crap and never gets anywhere. I know, it's gotta be hard to hang with the real good stuff, but someday I'll give it a try.

what the hell is 500px?

I post some of my pictures there, about as many as I post here. And even I think my pictures aren't worthy of being on there compared to others.

500px is growing. More people from all across the photography spectrum posting there is a part of that growth. With every redesign at Flickr 500px sees a surge of new users.:mrgreen::lmao: If you really want to view quality work swing by 1x. That site is curated so only approved photos make it to the generally viewable pages. Anyone can start a portfolio there, but if your work doesn't get approved no one will see it.

I have about ten shots there that hit 90 points and made it to like page 10.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

I'm on there... Am I rubbish? (Seriously I would like to know)

500px / Stone NYC

I agree, the site favors HDR and over saturation and heavy PS work.
Absolute junk. Horrible.

:lol::lol::sexywink: Actually, I couldn't get any of your images to load. I get the Adult Content warning, but when I click on it nothing loads. I did however get a kick out of the Exif on the one photo I tried to load. Lens: 90mm, Focal length: 135mm.

I'm on there... Am I rubbish? (Seriously I would like to know)

500px / Stone NYC

I agree, the site favors HDR and over saturation and heavy PS work.
Absolute junk. Horrible.

:lol::lol::sexywink: Actually, I couldn't get any of your images to load. I get the Adult Content warning, but when I click on it nothing loads. I did however get a kick out of the Exif on the one photo I tried to load. Lens: 90mm, Focal length: 135mm.

Haha, I can't say what the lens focal length data says, some of my work is film, maybe it got confused with whatever the scanner put in the metadata?

Are you a member?

I payed for a subscription before, but then didn't renew it as I didn't know what I was paying for...

Is there a way to turn the adult thing off?

They are all nudes, but tasteful (I hope).

Well, I know there's som weird anti-nude thing so I'm not sure if I can post this? It's a "preview" and if it's not ok tell me or have a mod delete it, I get confused between forums what's ok and what's not.

Again this isn't because I want "attention" I am trying to ascertain what is considered "bad" and nothing better than ones own images.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like some of it.. some seem really good. But I don't know nothn

Most reactions

New Topics

Back