500px rubbish?

500px is growing. More people from all across the photography spectrum posting there is a part of that growth. With every redesign at Flickr 500px sees a surge of new users.:mrgreen::lmao: If you really want to view quality work swing by 1x. That site is curated so only approved photos make it to the generally viewable pages. Anyone can start a portfolio there, but if your work doesn't get approved no one will see it.
have you guys many any money on there or is it pretty much a waste of time?

500px is growing. More people from all across the photography spectrum posting there is a part of that growth. With every redesign at Flickr 500px sees a surge of new users.:mrgreen::lmao: If you really want to view quality work swing by 1x. That site is curated so only approved photos make it to the generally viewable pages. Anyone can start a portfolio there, but if your work doesn't get approved no one will see it.
Well, let's put it this way, with the $50 minimum for withdrawal, at my rate my kids will be in high school before I can take any money out.

Well, let's put it this way, with the $50 minimum for withdrawal, at my rate my kids will be in high school before I can take any money out.
whats the point then? why even bother signing up? I don't get it.
sorry, im new, and haven't submitted anything anywhere except to a getty image stock site and I haven't made a dime...

Stone NYC, great work. I see a iota of creativity in your work. Good job.

Stone NYC, great work. I see a iota of creativity in your work. Good job.

Thanks, I'm more curios about the OP's opinion, just since he has see. A lot of junk on 500PX, I haven explored it but only saw the popular images... Knowing my work isn't typical HDR the site favors, I wondered if he thought work like mine was rubbish, just ok, pretty great,AMAZING and then based on that I'll look at the site more to see how I think about the place and if posting is worth it.

Thanks.

No, I think you've got some great stuff and that it definitely has a place on 500px. I'm talking more about stuff like this: 500px / octopus by Kelly MJC. Don't get me wrong, there's some incredible stuff on there, perhaps most of it. I just have seen a lot more poor photos show up. I am a hobbyist and brand new, so you know what? I post to places like this to get better, not to 500px to "showcase" my rubbish. It was mostly an observation and subsequent rant anyway.

I've mentioned that there's a lot of narcissism in artistic circles. This allows me to really make my point. Some people are so blinded by their self love, they'll claim anything they do is art and people should buy it, completely overlooking the fact that the focus is wrong and the colors are washed and there's motion blur and the light's too harsh and it's horribly grainy and the popup flash was used... etc.

Here's an example. For now, I'll play the part of the narcissist. I'm so full of myself that I believe everything I do is gold and should net me massive money. I've been doing this for years. I have to be a pro. I even use film. This is my photo, look at how great it is. Why won't anyone buy it? I don't see what's wrong with it.

Obviously, that's a cell phone snap through a REALLY dirty lens. You guys get the idea. They're out there... and it's hilarious to watch them suddenly realize that they're not as great as they thought. I have seen some folks improve DRAMATICALLY after they are brought back to reality, though.

No, I think you've got some great stuff and that it definitely has a place on 500px. I'm talking more about stuff like this: 500px / octopus by Kelly MJC. Don't get me wrong, there's some incredible stuff on there, perhaps most of it. I just have seen a lot more poor photos show up. I am a hobbyist and brand new, so you know what? I post to places like this to get better, not to 500px to "showcase" my rubbish. It was mostly an observation and subsequent rant anyway.

I see what you mean, there was this one image of a blond woman I was horrified, I can see that doesn't really fit anything that would be close to art...

I was told when you first joined 500px that they had some kind of system where he posted that images you actually be removed from the system entirely and banned, so I'm guessing that that he has changed and or was never truly seriously in effect.

Thanks for sharing, now I understand.

I've mentioned that there's a lot of narcissism in artistic circles. This allows me to really make my point. Some people are so blinded by their self love, they'll claim anything they do is art and people should buy it, completely overlooking the fact that the focus is wrong and the colors are washed and there's motion blur and the light's too harsh and it's horribly grainy and the popup flash was used... etc.

Here's an example. For now, I'll play the part of the narcissist. I'm so full of myself that I believe everything I do is gold and should net me massive money. I've been doing this for years. I have to be a pro. I even use film. This is my photo, look at how great it is. Why won't anyone buy it? I don't see what's wrong with it.

Obviously, that's a cell phone snap through a REALLY dirty lens. You guys get the idea. They're out there... and it's hilarious to watch them suddenly realize that they're not as great as they thought. I have seen some folks improve DRAMATICALLY after they are brought back to reality, though.

That was actually kind of why I was asking, because I was worried that I was one of those who didn't realize that the images were horrid lol

And I know that not all of my images are great, or even decent, but I think I have at least a few that stand out as something to at least take a look at.

Anyway I think that the problem is just that as any company grows, it gets so large that it can't handle things the same way it could when it was smaller, if the quality of images in the beginning was high, as it grows there's niacin many checks and balances you can have with so many images flooding into the system and so you're bound to have more and more images slip through that are not of quality.

So that's probably just what happened here.

Why the fuss?

500Pix is just an image host with some built in social activities/features. It's just like Flickr in that its just a place people host photos on to show on the web and also talk with other photographers.

It really only gained popularity because a host of "skilled" photographers on flickr got tired of seeing "bad photos" so shifted to a smaller niche-focused site. As the site grows in popularity the range of skills increases as well as does the volume at each skill level. Since there is no examination nor assessment to block people joining, if 500Pix continues to increase in popularity it could well end up identical to flickr's user base overall.

The only time a community will have a fixed level of skill is when there are barriers/gatekeepers to entry into the community. Even then the barrier is likely to end up more focused on style than skill unless they retain a broad spectrum of moderators approving the content.

As for nudity on the forums, we do not allow hosting/embedding on the site of nude content. We do allow emedding/hosting in the subscribers NSFW section and we do allow users to link to NSFW content on the open forums, but provided it has a warning above the link to inform that it is linking to NSFW content.
As a rough guide line we generally accept skimpy clothing akin to what you'd see on a normal beach - anything less and its likely to be removed.

I'm new to the Photo Forum and just looking around, but I am a member of several other forums. On most there are great differences in the abilities of photographers and knowledge of those who make comments, etc. (I have often wondered how someone can ever have time to go out and take any photos and still post thousands of messages on some forum). As to photographs, on several forums you just have to take the good with the bad and ignore what you don't like. The problems come up when someone sincerely wanting a critique with the intent of improving his/her photo skills posts a photo and asks, "What do you think of this photo?" The problem being that those replying aren't necessarily those who would recognize a good photo, but they still comment on it. So the one who ask for a critique ends up with a lot of bad information and learns nothing.

The problem being that those replying aren't necessarily those who would recognize a good photo, but they still comment on it. So the one who ask for a critique ends up with a lot of bad information and learns nothing.

Skill is also not linked to the capacity to impart ones understanding to another. I know a good few people skilled in various fields who can do some great stuff - but they can't teach anyone else to do it to save their lives. In photography many can even work without a full structured understanding of what they are doing - for example they don't know the terminology nor theory to say how they compose a photo - they just do it. They've subconsciously absorbed the key information from viewing other peoples good photos and whilst they are "using" theories they don't know what they are nor how to explain how they use them to other people.

Similarly I know people who are not of a great a level of skill, but who do know a subject well. They might not be all that good, but they know the theory of what they are doing and can explain it to others in a clear and understandable way.

Most reactions

Back