50mm 1.8 canon lens

zoom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've checked up this lens and it looks quite good with affordable price.
But there is no IS feature which makes me think.
I wonder that does absence of this feature lead any problem on photo, such as blurry results ?
As far as i know to prevent this problem with IS missing lens, i have to use low shutter speed values.
Now my question is how low should it be to avoid blurry photos ?

Also with 1.8 aperture size it looks quite useful for night photos, but if i decrease the value of shutter speed then i need to use high iso for night photos and that leads to noise on photo.
Actually my main concern about relation of shutter speed and blurry photo
So can i get good night shots without blur ?

Higer shutter speed to reduce blur.
Lack of IS means nothing. Photography has been around for 300 years, IS has been around for less than 10% of that.

Tripod for night shots and use whatever ISO you want with longer shutter speeds.

The EF 50mm f/1.8 may not be the best lens, but it is the best bang for the buck lens in Canon lens lineup.

To avoid blur image due to camera shake, the best tool is tripod. "IS" is not the reason not to get this lens. There are other reasons, but definitely not "IS".

Tripod may not be portable to carry all the time.

If you get a portable tripod, or a monopod, you can carry it as much as you want.

The point of a tripod, is that it holds the camera steady so that you are not touching it (shaking it) when it's fired. You don't need a tripod for this, all you have to do is set the camera down on something...anything. Just don't touch it when the shutter fires (use a remote or the self timer).

A good trick is to have a bean bag...or maybe a rolled up sock etc. Something that will allow you to position the camera more than just setting it on a flat surface.

Keep in mind that if you are shooting moving subjects at night...you probably still get blur...unless you use rather high ISO to raise the shutter speed.

Higer shutter speed to reduce blur.
Lack of IS means nothing. Photography has been around for 300 years, IS has been around for less than 10% of that ...

try less than 5% (or 15 years, even THAT is being generous) ...

IS/VR/OS - what ever it's labeled it's a gimmick to make the average "mom's snap shot" look better ... won't stop motion blur if you don't know what you are doing ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back