50mm 1.8 heLP!!!

Photofiend

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I bought this lens because I heard its great for portait and head shot type shots I LOVE it but are there any tips you guys would suggest? I am shooting some pictures for my GF's bestfriend this week.. Just if anything crosses your mind that has used this style lens a lot that makes it produce better outcomes let me know :)

Use it closed down a bit, the 1.8 is fun but until you have the low DOF wrangled it can be a plague. Also, test it a bit, last year there was a calibration issue (at least with a batch of Canon lenses) which caused it to back focus.

have fun with it though, it is a great versatile lens!

It at it's sharpest from about F2.8 to F8...so try it in that range. Also, try it wide open at F1.8 and use a shallow DOF.

take advantage of the DOF, F1.8-2.8 can be alot of fun.

Nikon 1.8's don't have that problem though... yet another reason to buy the Big N!

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist. JUST KIDDING on this people!)

This is going to sound sooo stupid and I am sorry for asking I noticed their are number on the side of the lens I am asuming these are DOF adjustments or F? but I set my F on the camera my self I shoot mostly in Apature priority should I match the numbers on the lens itself to match the ones on the side of the lens?

Av mode with the aperture at 2.8 or greater. If you shoot at 1.8, make sure you are focusing on the eyes, because if you focus on the nose the eyes could very well be out of focus.

Awesome lens (regardless of brand).

This is going to sound sooo stupid and I am sorry for asking I noticed their are number on the side of the lens I am asuming these are DOF adjustments or F? but I set my F on the camera my self I shoot mostly in Apature priority should I match the numbers on the lens itself to match the ones on the side of the lens?

If you see a series of numbers like "22 16 11 8 5.6 | 5.6 8 11 16 22" then it's a depth of field scale. Next to it should be another scale behind a little clear window, which has the actual focus markings, in feet and meters, I believe.

Actually, my 50/1.4 only has the 22 marks on it...

Anyway, say, for instance, your aperture is set at f/22 and you're focused on something about 10 feet away. If you look at the scale, you'll see that the 22 marks line up approximately a little past the 5-ft point on the focus scale and just a little short of the infinity mark. This means that at f/22, everything between about 6 or 7 ft and a little "short" of infinity will be in "acceptable" focus. The manual should have more to say about this.

If you see a series of numbers like "22 16 11 8 5.6 | 5.6 8 11 16 22" then it's a depth of field scale. Next to it should be another scale behind a little clear window, which has the actual focus markings, in feet and meters, I believe.

Actually, my 50/1.4 only has the 22 marks on it...

Anyway, say, for instance, your aperture is set at f/22 and you're focused on something about 10 feet away. If you look at the scale, you'll see that the 22 marks line up approximately a little past the 5-ft point on the focus scale and just a little short of the infinity mark. This means that at f/22, everything between about 6 or 7 ft and a little "short" of infinity will be in "acceptable" focus. The manual should have more to say about this.
WOW! Thanks!!! :)

Most reactions

Back