50mm 1.8 lens vs. 28-70mm 3.5-4.5 lens

davidquillin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Which of the above lens is best? Which is going to produce better photos? This is probably a loaded question! (Noob)

The 50mm will produce technically 'better' photos, they will be sharper and you will be able to use faster shutter speeds because of the larger aperture (or shoot in lower light)

However, for a noob, the 28-70 will give you more options with regard to composition and framing etc. The 70 end also compresses perspective and is preferable for portraits as it produces more flattering results.

Any help? What sort of photography are you planning on doing?

I am going to be helping out with a wedding (secondary shooter). No flash, natural light only....any suggestions as far as using the 28-70mm and what about film?

If you are using natural light only...I would suggest the 50mm F1.8.

Is it going to be inside or outside? If it's outside, then 100-400 speed film should be OK. If it's inside, and not very bright, then ISO 800 or faster may be needed.

davidquillin said:
I am going to be helping out with a wedding (secondary shooter). No flash, natural light only....
50mm, no doubt. Coz it has a wide aperture, which would let in more light and therefore you wouldn't have to rely on flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back