50mm 1.8 vs 1.4

scratched or messed up or anything

Then you return it. Ebay has buyer protection, as does paypal, as does your credit card.

You're getting a lens for hundreds less than new. To me, it's waaay worth the risk.

Ok well I hope I can trust this. I'm trusting you all to not mislead me....like I said i have no problem at all saving money. I just don't want to get pooped on...lol

Ok well I hope I can trust this. I'm trusting you all to not mislead me....like I said i have no problem at all saving money. I just don't want to get pooped on...lol

Remember though. Be a smart shopper.

Take all things into consideration: Feedback, pictures, description, accuracy, age, price, etc...

It still takes skill to shop on ebay... and a little luck.

So would you buy a used d80 on ebay or would you buy a new d80 that comes with a 18-55 and 55-200 VR lens for less than 800?

Back to the question.

If cost is it(correction: should be NOT, not it) a big problem, I will suggest go with the F/1.4 version.

In general, if you take 2 photos, one with F/1.8 set at F/1.8 and the other one with F/1.4 set at F/1.8, the F/1.4 version usually gives you a sharper picture.

If you do a lot of low light photography without using flash, F/1.4 of course is better.

For me, I have the Canon F/1.8 MK1. If I have more money to spend, I will go with the F/1.4. But now ... I am fine with my F/1.8 lens.
In Canon version, the F/1.4 focus faster and it has more shutter blades than the F/1.8. (The blur background type photos is more creamy with the F/1.4) I am not too sure about the Nikon side though. Of course, you can search around and see if it is the same for the Nikon.

Last edited:
So would you buy a used d80 on ebay or would you buy a new d80 that comes with a 18-55 and 55-200 VR lens for less than 800?

If I can get it for $200... then yes. It's all about price vs risk for me. It's not if I would buy it used, but how much I would buy it for.

Back to the question.

If cost is it a big problem, I will suggest go with the F/1.4 version.

Exactly. It's all about how much your budget is. But everyone agrees the 1.4 takes better pictures. It's just a matter of how deep you (your pockets) want to go.

Well thank you all, although it's a little late now. I ordered the 1.8 lens yesterday afternoon.

Well, if I wanted the 18-55 lens (and if I didn't already have that lens and the 55-200 VR), then I might go for it. I personally (having started with a D40 with the kit 18-55 lens) would buy the D80 body only, and then get a better standard zoom lens (like the Tamron 17-50 I have now). The 55-200 VR is a great lens but, if you're paying 800 USD for The D80 and those two lenses, part of it IS going toward that 18-55 lens, so I'd rather buy the D80 for around 500, the 55-200 VR for around 200 and then a nice standard zoom lens since that's what will be on my camera most of the time. If you're planning to have the long zoom on most of the time (like if you are going to be shooting birds or sports), then you might want to get a better telephoto zoom than the 55-200 VR and then the 18-55 might be okay. BTW, I like to use Amazon.com more than ebay, though I do get some things on ebay.

Amazon is where I've bought several things also. In fact, it's where I just bought my 50mm lens from. I'm excited. Now I just have to purchase the camera for the lens to go onto...HE HE.

Since you bought the Nikkor 50mm F/1.8. When you get your Nikon DSLR, it is better to get anything equal to D80 or above so that you can AF your new lens.

I'd buy used on ebay as long as there's a return policy and it's from a reputable dealer.... most of the used cameras for sale on ebay are from dealers who's reputation is far more valuable to them then ripping you off.

Well I saw a few god deals on ebay earlier so I'll keep my eyes open. If i can find a used d80 with a Nikkor 18-200 AF-S VR lens for cheap I'll be glad to purchase right away. Actually I hear Sigma is pretty good but what lens equals that of the 18-200?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back