50mm blurry

SoCalTiger said:
Am I the only one who is completely unable to do this? How can you line up a pen with something in the distance? If I focus on the pen, it makes the distant object "double" and if I focus on the distant object, the pen is doubled. Does this mean I do not have a dominant eye?

So the pen/distance object is doubled with one eye closed??

SoCalTiger said:
Am I the only one who is completely unable to do this? How can you line up a pen with something in the distance? If I focus on the pen, it makes the distant object "double" and if I focus on the distant object, the pen is doubled. Does this mean I do not have a dominant eye?

So the pen/distance object is doubled with one eye closed??

No, the doubling only happens when I have both eyes open. I assume what is happening is that my brain is processing the images from both eyes whereas apparently it "masks" the image from one eye in most other people who have one dominant eye? Otherwise, I can't understand how it is physically possible to horizontally line up two objects at different distances using both eyes at the same time.

The test, as I understand it, is to line up two objects which are at different distances with both eyes open and then close one eye to see if it moves.

SoCalTiger said:
No, the doubling only happens when I have both eyes open. I assume what is happening is that my brain is processing the images from both eyes whereas apparently it "masks" the image from one eye in most other people who have one dominant eye? Otherwise, I can't understand how it is physically possible to horizontally line up two objects at different distances using both eyes at the same time.

The test, as I understand it, is to line up two objects which are at different distances with both eyes open and then close one eye to see if it moves.

I think you are over thinking this. Your possible lack of a dominant eye has nothing to do with the whole seeing double thing. I just did the test by holding up 1 finger and I lined it up with the doorframe - vertically (my arm was extended and there was a bit of distance between my finger and the doorframe). This is just a frame of reference. It's marking the spot so that you know where your finger/object is. Then you close one eye. If your finger is still lined up with the doorframe that means that eye is the dominant eye. Now close that eye and open the other one. If your finger doesn't line up with the doorframe - you have a dominant eye.

I'm assuming that if with both eyes your finger lines up with the doorframe then you don't have a dominant eye. I guess the opposite would be true as well. Not really sure though. I do know it's rare not to have a dominant eye.

I'm thinking You can even do it by starting out with one eye closed, extend arm and use finger to line up with something in the distance (like a doorframe). Now close that eye and open the other.

SoCalTiger said:

I think you are over thinking this. Your possible lack of a dominant eye has nothing to do with the whole seeing double thing. I just did the test by holding up 1 finger and I lined it up with the doorframe - vertically (my arm was extended and there was a bit of distance between my finger and the doorframe). This is just a frame of reference. It's marking the spot so that you know where your finger/object is. Then you close one eye. If your finger is still lined up with the doorframe that means that eye is the dominant eye. Now close that eye and open the other one. If your finger doesn't line up with the doorframe - you have a dominant eye.

I'm assuming that if with both eyes your finger lines up with the doorframe then you don't have a dominant eye. I guess the opposite would be true as well. Not really sure though. I do know it's rare not to have a dominant eye.

I'm thinking You can even do it by starting out with one eye closed, extend arm and use finger to line up with something in the distance (like a doorframe). Now close that eye and open the other.

But... it is physically/optically impossible to "line up" two objects with different distances on the horizontal plane relative to your eyes. The only way for this to happen would be for you to either close/cover one eye or for your brain to ignore one eye. I assume this is what is happening for people with a dominant eye. In my case, if I focus on any given object, anything in the background which is out of focus will effectively be doubled.

I quickly drew this up to demonstrate what is happening:

eyesfocus.jpg

I'm curious to know. Are you using the Nikon 50mm 1.4 or1.8? If so then you should not have any speed issues. They don't get much faster than that. I own the 1.4g and i gotta admit that lens produces AMAZING quality photos!

I was left eye'd dominant, until I realized my damn nose got in the way. So I converted and now use my right eye.

Oh yeah, I have a 50mm 1.8 AF-S and find it consistently sharp.

SoCalTiger said:
But... it is physically/optically impossible to "line up" two objects with different distances on the horizontal plane relative to your eyes. The only way for this to happen would be for you to either close/cover one eye or for your brain to ignore one eye. I assume this is what is happening for people with a dominant eye. In my case, if I focus on any given object, anything in the background which is out of focus will effectively be doubled.

I quickly drew this up to demonstrate what is happening:

It can still be done. I get double vision when Doing this as well. It has nothing to do with not having a dominant eye. I have a dominant eye. But It's still not impossible to do. For one You don't have to line it up perfectly - its just a frame of reference. And you don't even necessarily need to line it up with something in the distance.

Anyways you can do it by starting off with one eye closed like I mentioned in my other post. Have you even tried it by starting off with one eye closed?

http://vision.about.com/od/contactlenses/ht/Eye_Dominance.htm

Here's an even easier way to do it.

SoCalTiger said:

An easier test is to form a triangle with your hands. Now pick an object to focus on in the triangle. Close one eye then the other. The object will disappear for one eye. The eye that still sees the object is dominant

belial said:
An easier test is to form a triangle with your hands. Now pick an object to focus on in the triangle. Close one eye then the other. The object will disappear for one eye. The eye that still sees the object is dominant

Learned this from archery. It's the common test they use

Overread said:
For matters pertaining to posture and hand holding of the camera watch this:
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk

ps the right eye - left eye thing. Most people are opposite dominant eyed to their dominant hand. If you're right handed you're likely left eyed and vis versa. However even if you're right eyed you can still shoot left eyed (I do this myself, it just feels much more natural to shoot with the camera left eyed over right).

You can test your eyes yourself; just hold up a finger and line it up with something far off in the distance (eg a tree). Then close one eye, if your finger remains in the same place relative to the object in the distance then that is your dominant eye; if your finger moves out of line with the object in the distance then that eye is not your dominant eye.

I have no dominant eye. And let me tell you how much that sucks. No matter what I do, my brain is unable to 'forget' about the other eye. It's more than just annoying. Unfortunately I then end up closing whichever I I'm not using, and then I get strange perceptions after that as they remain out of focus for a while. It's so bad I've even considered an eye patch (I don't wear glasses) but but I'd rather not look that strange. Anyone else have that problem?

I use an eye patch while looking through my telescope, it helps a bunch.

Anyways you can do it by starting off with one eye closed like I mentioned in my other post. Have you even tried it by starting off with one eye closed?

Starting off with one eye closed does not work because when you switch to the other eye, the other eye will ALWAYS not be aligned. If you align one object on the horizontal plane, the other object will not be aligned. I can easily prove this by starting off with either eye.

belial said:

Learned this from archery. It's the common test they use

The trick using the triangle / bringing two hands together does work for me though. Doing this, I can clearly see that my brain is filtering out one eye in this situation. Thanks guys. Turns out I'm right eye dominant which has always been the natural eye for me to use for focusing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back