50mm f/1.0

3bayjunkie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.colbyjack.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone use the Canon USM 50mm f/1.0 lens? It costs about three times as much as the Canon USM 50mm f/1.2 so I was wondering if it was worth the extra cheddar? How is its focusing speed and is it pretty and does it seem too bulky compared to the 50mm f/1.2?

Last edited:
I think for those who bought the f/1.0 50mm lens will think it is well worth it. It is not because how good the lens perform, it is the "f/1.0".

the 1.0 was discontiued in the early 2000's for focus and sharpness problems.

The 50mm 1.4 sells for like 120-130 bucks and I have not heard any negative on it whatsoever. I have not used it so I only say about what I hear.

Its price is mostly driven by the fact that it isn't an easy lens to find and its an f/1. Performance wise it wasnt all that great... slow AF and other issues. 99% of the consumers found the 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4 a more practical and better performing lens. The lens was first released more that 20 years ago and comparing it to the more modern f/1.2 is a no brainer unless you are looking specifically for an f/1 lens.

The 50mm 1.4 sells for like 120-130 bucks and I have not heard any negative on it whatsoever. I have not used it so I only say about what I hear.

Actually that is the 1.8, and there is plenty of people who talk bad about it. I quite enjoy mine, but the 1.4 runs 350 or more.

Actually that is the 1.8, and there is plenty of people who talk bad about it. I quite enjoy mine, but the 1.4 runs 350 or more.

^ This.

There are also complaints about the AF being relatively fragile on the 50 1.4. FWIW, the 50 1.4 has a higher "1 star rating" rate on Amazon than the 50 1.8 (5% vs 2.5%). Of course, most people are more aggravated when a $350 lens breaks than a $115 one. The Sigma 50 1.4 is even worse at 16% 1 star ratings.

Yeah I meant the cheaper one, the 1.8, my bad, lol. brain fart.

Basically my point was it is a decent lens, very inexpensive and affordable, and I have not heard many complaints on it. I am going on local personal talk vs internet talk.

Good thing I only go manual. ;D but are those people buying used or what because the 1.8 can break within a year I've read, and 1.4 I think it depends on how well you take care of your equipment. The build of the 1.8 is very toylike and plastic, even the mount is. I know plenty of people who have the 1.4 and never complain about those things. Amazon often has a lot of angry people..:lol:

One of the big lens rental companies publishes repair stats, and the Canon's 50mm 1.4 does seem to have a higher repair incidence than the 1.8. Of course this doesn't mean that they all break... some of them last for ever.

One of the big lens rental companies publishes repair stats, and the Canon's 50mm 1.4 does seem to have a higher repair incidence than the 1.8. Of course this doesn't mean that they all break... some of them last for ever.

People probably don't even bother to get the 50 1.8 repaired when it breaks.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Most reactions

Back