50mm f/1.8 vs 35mm f/1.8

Be careful. The 35 mm has some CA (Chromatic Aberration) problems and at f/1.8 will have extremely shallow DOF (even shallower than the 50 mm you have) making it difficult to get everything in focus you want to be in focus, even though the 35 mm can AF.

I thought longer focal lengths decreased the depth of field, while wider lenses will increase the depth of field (with the same aperture and other settings)....

Be careful. The 35 mm has some CA (Chromatic Aberration) problems and at f/1.8 will have extremely shallow DOF (even shallower than the 50 mm you have) making it difficult to get everything in focus you want to be in focus, even though the 35 mm can AF.

I thought longer focal lengths decreased the depth of field, while wider lenses will increase the depth of field (with the same aperture and other settings)....

They do, what KmH neglected to mention was the very important caveat that what he is talking about is using both lenses for the same framing which will cause you to be closer to your subject with the 35mm 1.8 which will also impact your DOF. He also neglected to mention that most people shoot wider shots with the 35mm 1.8 and not the same framing as they would with the 50mm 1.8.

In any case, I'm not a fan of the 35mm 1.8 and don't own one. I do, however, own a 50mm 1.8 and will bring it with me when, or if, Nikon ever releases the D700 or D3s replacement. I've been waiting for long enough that I just can't convince myself to go ahead and buy the D700 at today's ridiculous prices.

They do, what KmH neglected to mention was the very important caveat that what he is talking about is using both lenses for the same framing which will cause you to be closer to your subject with the 35mm 1.8 which will also impact your DOF. He also neglected to mention that most people shoot wider shots with the 35mm 1.8 and not the same framing as they would with the 50mm 1.8.

In any case, I'm not a fan of the 35mm 1.8 and don't own one. I do, however, own a 50mm 1.8 and will bring it with me when, or if, Nikon ever releases the D700 or D3s replacement. I've been waiting for long enough that I just can't convince myself to go ahead and buy the D700 at today's ridiculous prices.

Ahh ok, i get it now. I was worried i was living a lie. Haha

I sold my 35 F/1.8, don't miss the evil aberations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back