50mm Lens for Nikon D100

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoFanatic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a 50mm f1.4 lens for my D100. I don't know much about these lenses since I'm new at photography, but what is the difference between Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF lens and other "D", "Al", and "AlS" nikkor 50mm. All these are manual focus but would they still work on the D100?. I need something that would work well for portraits and wedding photography. I'm not anywhere near a professional but I plan to practice my friend's wedding. Thanks a bunch for all the help.

Look in your owners manual if you have one. Nikon lists the different lenses you can use on their cameras and how they affect the different shooting modes. You can also jump on their website.

Manual focus lens won't work with the D100. Nikon only made their full frame camera's backwards compatible for the most part. A 50mm lens on a D100 will pretty much give you a the equivalent of a 75mm. You would be better off looking for a 35mm lens to get more of a 50mm feel. Otherwise, you may be backpedalling a lot just to get everything in the shot you want.

Manual focus lens won't work with the D100.
Please explain why a manual focus lens will not work. They work just fine on my D40.

To the OP: I don't have experience with the D100, but the D40 works with the AF "D" lenses, except for the autofocus (no AF motor in D40; not sure about the D100). AIS will work on the D40 with the exception of the light meter; you have to use an external meter or guess the exposure (sunny 16, etc).

Oy this software suggests some ancient threads

Oy this software suggests some ancient threads
Oh crud. Missed to Original post date.
zombiethread1.jpg

Please explain why a manual focus lens will not work. They work just fine on my D40.

To the OP: I don't have experience with the D100, but the D40 works with the AF "D" lenses, except for the autofocus (no AF motor in D40; not sure about the D100). AIS will work on the D40 with the exception of the light meter; you have to use an external meter or guess the exposure (sunny 16, etc).
for example an e-series pancake lens 50mm lens from the 80s... (has no autofocus) will not give you any meter readings on a crop sensor camera. I have plenty of old lenses and they only function really on a FX body. I suppose if you have a hand meter and figure out your f/stops manually you can use a DX body but it's really a lot of work. Manual mode with a auto-focus lens... will work but a pure manual lens will not give you any readings... nor do you get the green dot that tells you your in focus.

(yes, the Sunny 16 rule would probably work as well.)

I used to shoot film with an Nikon FM2, FG, and F3 highpoint. none had auto-focus capability. Though the lenses I used to shoot with still work on the D700, D600 and D800 series (without auto-focus of course) focus dot, aperture, f/stop... all the indicators are working. I'm guessing they may work on a D500 aswell... Just because it's the higher end dx... I'm not positive though.

Last edited:
for example an e-series pancake lens 50mm lens from the 80s... (has no autofocus) will not give you any meter readings on a crop sensor camera. I have plenty of old lenses and they only function really on a FX body. I suppose if you have a hand meter and figure out your f/stops manually you can use a DX body but it's really a lot of work. Manual mode with a auto-focus lens... will work but a pure manual lens will not give you any readings... nor do you get the green dot that tells you your in focus.

(yes, the Sunny 16 rule would probably work as well.)

I used to shoot film with an Nikon FM2, FG, and F3 highpoint. none had auto-focus capability. Though the lenses I used to shoot with still work on the D700, D600 and D800 series (without auto-focus of course) focus dot, aperture, f/stop... all the indicators are working. I'm guessing they may work on a D500 aswell... Just because it's the higher end dx... I'm not positive though.
But working with limitations is not the same as "don't work." As I said, above: "AIS works on the D40 with the exception of the light meter."

cmw3_d40_DSC_4256-72 by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Since this thread is very old and the OP hasn't been on the site for seven years, it's time to lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back