50mm on a crop or a 35mm?

FamilyID

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Title^
I'm getting some primes because photography in low light is pretty difficult with an F4 lens. I'd have to bump up ISO and have a longer exposure.
I have a 600D, so the 50mm would be an 80mm. So... yea.
I don't plan to get a FF camera anytime soon.

Its hard to say. For indoor portraits 50 can be to long, for outdoor or where you have room its good. 35mm can be more flexible indoors but if you get to close its not very flattering

50mm would be 80mm, so I would think that it may be a little long. I could always crop it on a 35mm if there's too much background. 35mm would be 56mm. Since I'm not getting a FF anytime soon. Maybe the Sigma 30mm would be good.

Last edited:
50mm would be 80mm, so I would think that it may be a little long. I could always crop it on a 35mm if there's too much background. 35mm would be 56mm. Since I'm not getting a FF anytime soon. Maybe the Sigma 30mm would be good.

Why then are you trying to figure out what these lenses will frame on a FF body then?

I'm assuming you have a 18-55, so you can fixed your lens at either of those focal lengths and get the exact idea of what the lenses will be like on YOUR body.

A 50 mm focal length lens (zoom or prime) on a crop sensor camera is a 50 mm focal length lens.

A 50 mm focal length lens (zoom or prime) on a crop sensor camera is a 50 mm focal length lens.

^This!!! It just has a 75mm (approximate) FOV!

I get that it's still a 50mm lens. But the crop will make it 80mm.
50 x 1.6, if I'm correct.

I get that it's still a 50mm lens. But the crop will make it 80mm.
50 x 1.6, if I'm correct.

Canon is 1.6, correct... (sorry, I always think in Nikon terms... wonder why? lol!)

Why then are you trying to figure out what these lenses will frame on a FF body then?

I'm assuming you have a 18-55, so you can fixed your lens at either of those focal lengths and get the exact idea of what the lenses will be like on YOUR body.

Good point...
50mm works out just fine. It's not too close or too far for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back