50mm on a nikon D60

pongerts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello guys!

It's been a while since I last posted.
But I can assure you that I'm here lurking at the New Posts EVERYDAY! :)

anyway, got a new question for you guys.

I'm planning on getting Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 (or was it an f/1.8 - can't remember).

I know that it won't AF on my D60, but I'll deal with it.

I was in a store the other day. I tried the 50mm on the D80, and the shutter-sound was just fine (normal), but when I tried the 50mm on the D60, I got a different sound. I can't describe it, my best attempt would be that it sounded 'thinner' to me. The click wasn't full sounding like it did on the D80.

I would really love to acquire that lens but that 'sound' bothered me.

Would anyone have an idea if that would be the normal clicking sound of a 50mm on a D60?

Once again, thanks for your help.

When it did click, did it take a good photograph?

I have a 50mm 1.8 (AF) on a D40 and a D70S and it works just fine, and sounds pretty normal to me.

Last edited:
well, the click i was talking about is the shutter-click sound.

so, it clicked when I pressed the shutter release button.

and i did take a good picture.

The D80 and the D60 have a different shutter. Presumably, since the D60 is newer, it would have a quieter shutter. This has nothing to do with the lens.

There's nothing wrong with the shutter or the lens. What you're hearing is the aperture blades closing down and opening back up in sync with the reflex mirror and shutter. Nikons are known for doing this pretty loudly (try a Nikon body with a DOF preview button and you'll know what I mean). It sounds different with each lens. Usually, the bigger the lens, the more clackity it sounds.

The 55-200 VR makes quite a metal-sounding clacking noise where the 50mm f/1.8 Series E makes much softer and quieter click.

ok.

but take into consideration that i used the same lens on a D80 but didn't get that 'sound'.

that's why it bothered me, which made me decide to put-off the purchase for a while and research more on it...

because for me, it sounded different meant that there was something wrong.

anyway, i do hope i get more suggestions and comments about this issue.

i really don't have issues with the AF not working on my D60.

it's just that clicking sound that i'm bothered with...

and for 1 thing, the lens you're suggesting is priced much higher,
and for another thing, yes, it's the price! heheheh!

thanks for suggesting though...

but take into consideration that i used the same lens on a D80 but didn't get that 'sound'.

that's why it bothered me, which made me decide to put-off the purchase for a while and research more on it...
OK, replace "aperture" in what I said with "automatic aperture stop down coupling mechanism". Perhaps that mechanism is different between the cameras.

ok.

because for me, it sounded different meant that there was something wrong.

anyway, i do hope i get more suggestions and comments about this issue.
Go back and read my post. It's the camera, not the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back