50mm with TC ?

reaper7534

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wanted to use this setup but I'm receiving a error code 1. It's a 50mm 1.8 STM and Kenko Pro 3000 1.4 tc. It works fine with my 70-200, but I'm getting the code with the 50. 50 works fine by itself. Is the new STM just not compatible ?

My guess is that the STM focusing protocol POST-dates the manufacture of the Kenko teleconverter, and that the TC is not compatible with that lens.

My guess is that the STM focusing protocol POST-dates the manufacture of the Kenko teleconverter, and that the TC is not compatible with that lens.

May very well be right. I experimented and if I put it in MF and then turned the camera on, I am able to focus manually and get the photo, seems to just loose the autofocus. Camera will still meter, but report aperture wrong. Still reports at F/1.8, which obviously is not the case.

TC's are not meant to be used on lenses of less than 100mm. The best use of a TC is using a top of the line TC (think expensive) on the very top of the line long glass (think very expensive) and are really at their best on a prime lens. While TC's will magnify the image it will also magnify every little flaw and defect of the glass it is on.

This also might be helpful. http://www.kenkoglobal.com/photo/Total_Compatibility_Table_PDF.pdf

Most reactions

Back