50mm

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yippee! I just got my nifty fifty -- bought a Canon 50mm f1.8 Mark I on e-bay and it showed up this evening! It doesn't have the plastic-feel of the newer Mark II . Now I have to go out and shoot stuff in low light :)

Yup, great lens. Great for portraits.

It's a nice lens to learn on for sure, but a better focal length for portraiture is in the 70-200mm lengths because of reduced distortions. Things like chipmunk cheeks and a visually thinner looking body happen when using a longer lens.

Ever have a lady ask you to use the "-15 pounds" lens? This is it. ;)

Ever have a lady ask you to use the "-15 pounds" lens? This is it. ;)

:lmao:

Mine must not have been working properly, then again FF film changes things, but anywho....

50mm lenses are a great learning tool, if I have read correctly it'll behave more like my 85mm does on my camera, which is spactacular for portraits and it also searves me very well as a carryaround.

Well, I didn't buy it to use as a portrait lens. I like my Canon 100mm f2.8 and my Sigma 50-150 f2.8 for those but, then again, I don't do many portraits. I just needed something that work work in lower light.

50mm lenses are a great learning tool, if I have read correctly it'll behave more like my 85mm does on my camera, which is spactacular for portraits and it also searves me very well as a carryaround.

From what I learn recently, the field of view is equivalent to 85mm, however, the perspective distortion of the 50mm still behave as a 50mm in a cropped sensor camera.

Hmmmm .... I think I'm gonna like this lens ...

Here's a first quick snap with it open ...

bing.jpg

You will like it. I have the MKII version. And I may have a chance to get the MK I version as well. At that time, I can compare them. From what I learned so far, the MKII version has a little faster auto focus, better lens (front ??) coating and do not have the DoF scale. And the build quality of the MK I is better than the MK II. Other than that, they should be very similar in design.

The bottomline is, they both produce nice image. (as long as the person behind the camera can):lol:

Sweet, I thought I was going to snag a MkI off of craigslist with a 10S body for $65, but the ad disappeared and I got no reply, so I guess I missed out. I guess I'll just have to live with the 50mm 1.8, and the 50mm 1.4, that I already own.:lmao:

What is wrong with me?! I just can pass up a good deal!

I guess I'll just have to live with the 50mm 1.8, and the 50mm 1.4, that I already own.:lmao:

What is wrong with me?!

You don't have enough glass, that's what's wrong

I own four 50mm 1.4's and five 50mm 1.8's, but they are manual focus so I don't think they are too appealing to many.

Sweet, I thought I was going to snag a MkI off of craigslist with a 10S body for $65, but the ad disappeared and I got no reply, so I guess I missed out. I guess I'll just have to live with the 50mm 1.8, and the 50mm 1.4, that I already own.:lmao:

What is wrong with me?! I just can pass up a good deal!

Sorry .. You are not as fast as me this time. (But last time I could not get a 70-200mm F/4L for $350 ... I am wonder who got it. .. ahahahahha:lmao:)

Where do you live? I snagged a 70-200mm F/4L for $325 an craigslist about 6monthe or a year ago. Were you one of the other 30 people who called the seller within a few hours?

I am in St. Louis as well. Yes, I saw that lens .... but . too bad .. you are too fast.:lmao:

Most reactions

Back