55-250mm or 70-300??

wcc963

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i'll mainly be shooting wildlife, airplanes taking off and landing, and airshows and im trying to decide wheter to get the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS:
Amazon.com: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

or the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS:
Amazon.com: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

what are the pro's/con's of each and which do you think would be a better lens for the job

side note: im getting one of these to hold me over til i can get a 70-200 2.8L II IS :drool:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Both are the same speed so I would go with the longer reach since you will be shooting wildlife.

Sigma made a 400 f5.6 in several different flavors back in the day, I'm not sure if it will work on the Rebel (if it doesn't you could always sell it) but I have heard of them being used on 1Ds's so it's worth a shot. Pretty decent lens.

FYI the 70-300 is already listed in your signature.

According to some tests, neither of them are very good wide open; especially at the long end. But I know I've taken quite a few good pics with my 70-300 before upgrading to a fat white L:

ashley100pasento.jpg

According to some tests, neither of them are very good wide open; especially at the long end. But I know I've taken quite a few good pics with my 70-300 before upgrading to a fat white L:

thanks for that, if my car didin't die on me last week i'd be saving for a 70-200mm IS II L lens, but now i need 2500 for a down payment instead of a lens :(

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back