550D T2i vs 7D. Looking for input

dustin0479

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, we currently have a Canon Rebel XT. I realize this camera will get us where we need to be in terms of learning photography but at the same time i already feel like it is jamming up the learning curve. For one the tiny LCD screen makes it difficult to check the quality of the image, i find myself guessing on what to do next because it is really hard to see.
So, i am contemplating the upgrade.

The options are a 550D T2i or a 7D. While they are miles apart in price they actually seem to be pretty close in terms of the guts. I am looking for any reasons why i should buy the 7D over the T2i because i am not finding any right now other than the frame material..
Fire away.....

My first DSLR so i went with the T2i. Lots to learn in the next couple of years and by then something better will be out. Also love the fact that it's smaller and lightweight.

I posted this thread a bit ago (oddly enough 200+ views and no replies) which has a little funny video about the cameras (and the new 60D as well): http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...s/220059-interesting-take-60d-vs-550d-7d.html

What it boils down to though, is features. Here's a list off the top of my head that the 7D has over the T2i:

-8fps burst
-huge image buffer
-dual digic IV processors
-19 AF points (all cross type)
-More AF modes (zone and expanded point are very useful)
-Top LCD (excellent for shooting info and doesn't use as much batt. as main screen)
-Better erganomics
-Metal body with moderate weather sealing
-Larger, stronger, more solid feel
-Wireless flash trigger support (a first for Canon)
-Rear dial + joystick + front dial (lots of selecting options, very useful in manual modes)
-A lot more custom functions and settings
-Electronic level
-Active LCD display in viewfinder

It definitely looks like the 7d will handle sports and motion better with the dual digic 4 and 8fps. I really dont do any high movement shots... the image quality seems to be the same, i hear the T2i has a slight more noise at high ISO settings but not enough to thow it out of bed. Considering we are pretty new to photography and will probably not be able to do any type of "professional" shooting i am wondering if it is worth the investment to get the 7d, also considering how quickly technology is changing.

It definitely looks like the 7d will handle sports and motion better with the dual digic 4 and 8fps. I really dont do any high movement shots... the image quality seems to be the same, i hear the T2i has a slight more noise at high ISO settings but not enough to thow it out of bed. Considering we are pretty new to photography and will probably not be able to do any type of "professional" shooting i am wondering if it is worth the investment to get the 7d, also considering how quickly technology is changing.

The 7D will have better color, contrast, faster frame rate, wireless flash capability, dust sealed, magnesium alloy body, better controls, better high ISO performance, 100% viewfinder, it also shoots at up to 1/8000th of a second, which is handy if you are using fast lenses in daylight. Fast frame rate is also very handy if trying to shoot 3 bracketed HDR shots handheld. All pretty solid features. However, I do not know if you personally would need to spend the extra for those features, only you can determine that.

Last edited:
If you can afford it go with the 7D

This. I bought the T2i about 2 months before it was released and sold it to buy the 7D about 3 weeks after it was released. It's a great camera, but the few extra features that the 7D has are *well* worth it.

For one, the magnesium body frame is huge. At first you might not be used to it and think it's too big...but it's completely worth it. It's a wonderful feeling to have a sturdier body and know that (with a weather-sealed lens) you don't have to worry about rain or snow. Hell, I can literally take my 7D and an L lens out into torrential downpours and take pictures all day without a single problem.

Secondly, the focusing system. It's *MUCH* quicker, *MUCH* more accurate, and *MUCH* more agile.

Third, the burst. The 8fps burst is phenomenal to have.

Fourth, better low-light performance. Yes, the sensor is very close to the T2i (but not identical despite hearing that from many sources)...but the 2 processor setup really helps to eliminate noise and increase image quality.

Fifth, off-camera wireless flash. The 7D is one of the only cameras in Canon's lineup (along with the brand new 60D) that can function as a Speedlite Transmitter. What this means is if you own any of the "Slave" units (Canon 430EX II or 580EX...along with possibly others but I think those might be the only 2) you can use them remotely. It works *wonderfully*. Set up the flash somewhere in the room and as long as they're able to see the on-camera flash from the 7D (even from reflections or ambienct) they'll function as a wireless flash.

7D can do much more....+1 for 7D if you can afford it

What do you take pictures of? You said you don't really do sports and are new to photography... what's wrong with the XT? You're hitting the limits of the Rebel and need something better? Are you sure?

If I could, I'd trade my T2i for a 5D classic. I feel like that would be a better body for shooting people, and definitely better for getting shallower depths of field (larger frame means you can take a few steps closer at the same focal length vs a 1.6x crop cam)

The 2 main reasons I am looking to upgrade
1. Greater ISO range, the xt is very limiting in terms of ISO range
2. The LCD is so small i have to take a group of shots and then load them to the PC to really view them. When you are trying to learn how to "tune" your settings that is a complete PITA.

If i purchase the 7d i will be stuck with the kit lens for some time, if i do the T2i i will have some cash for good glass. I always hear everyone saying that glass is more important, is that not true in this case?

The 2 main reasons I am looking to upgrade
1. Greater ISO range, the xt is very limiting in terms of ISO range
2. The LCD is so small i have to take a group of shots and then load them to the PC to really view them. When you are trying to learn how to "tune" your settings that is a complete PITA.

If i purchase the 7d i will be stuck with the kit lens for some time, if i do the T2i i will have some cash for good glass. I always hear everyone saying that glass is more important, is that not true in this case?

Glass is more important, but a good body will make it easier to get those amazing shots with equal-level glass. There are plenty of people on this board that get utterly spectacular results from a Rebel XT or XS (2 of the lowest DSLRs Canon makes)...but it's rare and very difficult. I wish I could show you some pictures now, but I just woke up and don't have any links on hand.

Suffice to say, with the right practice and understanding of photography you can get nearly the same level pictures from an XT/XS as you can from *any* crop-body that Canon makes (same goes for Nikon, as well). In the end it all comes down to skill and knowledge, but great glass and a great body can really help you get there.

I'd say keep the lens you have now and just get the 7D body. Save up until you're able to afford some more expensive glass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back