5D help

hot shot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys
Looking at getting the canon 5D. would if you could help me out.
Right i currently have the 350D. I would mainly want it for sports would it be suitable. The bloke in jessops said that i would have to use L lenses is this true.
Cheers :thumbup:

No you don't have to use L lenses. If you want to get maximum quality, you would want to, but you don't "have" to. As for sports, it only shoots up to 3fps. It does have a large buffer, but that's not a very high frame rate for sports. You'd be better off getting a 1D MKII, which will give you 8.5 fps.

so whats the diffrence between the mkII and the mkIIn

I don't really know. Looking at a side by side on dpreview.com, the only difference is that the N has a 1/2 " bigger LCD :p I'm sure you'll find it via Google, or by going to Canon's site directly.

its strange as the mkII is more than the MKIIn apart from that i carnt work out what the major diffrence is

if sports is your main area of shooting, get the 1dmkIIn. You'll be glad you did, as it's made for that type of thing, whereas the 5d is made more for portraits and some landscapes and commercial stuff.

I'll agree with the 1Ds Mk II, they're an excellent sports camera and a very robust all-weather camera - if you get caught in the rain the 1Ds has environmnetal seals, fit an L lens to it and you've got a camera that shoots 8fps in wet or dusty environments. (motorsports would be a prime example)

Xmetal said:
I'll agree with the 1Ds Mk II, they're an excellent sports camera and a very robust all-weather camera - if you get caught in the rain the 1Ds has environmnetal seals, fit an L lens to it and you've got a camera that shoots 8fps in wet or dusty environments. (motorsports would be a prime example)

I think you mean 1dMkII and 1d.

Xmetal, the camera you are linking to has a frame rate of 4fps, compared to for example the 8.5 that I get.....4fps is barely adequate and I don't think the 16.7MP is necessary for sports.....so check again yourself;)

carnt afford the 1Ds mkII but can afford the 1D mark IIN . think this is what im goign to go for how much should i be looking at paying?? also out of intrest what does the N stand for
thanks

when you see 'n' at the end of a pro level canon camera, it basically means it's an updated version of the camera of the same name without the n. for instance, the EOS 1n is an update to the EOS 1. the 1dMkIIn is the upgrade/update to the EOS 1dMkII.

IMO that's the best sports camera you can get from canon. it is arguably the most used camera for american football, baseball, basketball, soccer/football, and most other sporting events.

I have the 1dMkIIn been very happy with it, B&H has it listed for 3600 US, got mine last October it was 400 more, but would still like to have a 5D for landscapes

3600 dollars that 1,800 pounds do b&h ship to the UK???

Most reactions

Back