5d mark 2 Sound Quality

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.larissaphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone tested the sound quality for the video mode of the mark 2? We're considering getting one to use as a candid camera and to get a few video clips throughout the day at weddings. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have read a little on it and I belive it benefitted greatly when you use a dedicated microphone attached to the camera (it has a dedicated port hole for this) so that you can get improved sound input.

Yeah, get a dedicated mic.

The mic on the body sounds flat and you pick up every little noise the camera makes.

just a thought but for the mic you can probably pick up a dirt cheap flash braket off ebay to put the mic on so that you have your hands free

Excuse my typing this is from my phone. The mic quality of the camera isn't too shabby given it's size but it definitely us not crisp. There are mica you can purchase that fit right I'm the flash bracket thqtnwork like a charm and are
Relatively cheap

Hi!

I think the sound on the 5D 2 is actually pretty remarkable compared to other DSLR movie modes. I find it funny that one of the posters above said that it picks up every sound the camera makes cause I assure you the 3 that I have used surely did not!

The D90 on the other hand; quite terrible.

Hi!

I think the sound on the 5D 2 is actually pretty remarkable compared to other DSLR movie modes. I find it funny that one of the posters above said that it picks up every sound the camera makes cause I assure you the 3 that I have used surely did not!
Yup, I lied.

I only own a D40 but I like to pretend I really have a 5DMk2. :D

I guess I'm not the only one that noticed it.

This is my first post in any of the video forums
smile.gif

The 5D Mark II takes amazing photos and I've also gained first experience in shooting footage. But the built-in microphone is pretty much useless. Apart from the fact that it's not stereo anyway, it records all kinds of noises such as the gyro from the image stabilizer.

What microphone do you recommend? I don't want to pay outlandish prices but still want a good quality microphone that's not causing the inspectors to wince when listening to the audio of my footage
smile.gif

I plan on shooting landscape, so in many cases audio wouldn't be needed, I guess. But when I go to the Golden Gate Bridge and stand at the beach, I want the sound from the roling waves come along with the footage.
Found on Google.

Last edited:
Here's a YouTube video that shows the camera noise using the onboard mic.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc03RYIRkl8"]YouTube - Microphone comparisons on the Canon 5D Mark II[/ame]

It also shows the difference when using external mics and the audio improvement.

No need the dedicated microphone fits on the hot shoe

I was about to ask what the use in that was as then where would your flash go -- till I relised that if one were shooting film you would not be using a flash for lighting (unless you have some seriously good batteries)

But for the user switching between still and film it could be handy to use a flashbracket to hold the mic so that you can have a flash attached for when you want to do stills with it

Yup, I lied.

I only own a D40 but I like to pretend I really have a 5DMk2. :D

I guess I'm not the only one that noticed it.

Found on Google.

Sorry I don't remember calling you a liar but the OP didnt mention in their post about wanting or needing to use an external mic. So, like I said, compared to other DSLR video modes; The 5D 2's sound beats out the competition, by a landslide. Pick up a D90 and make a video with that.. you might as well be using your webcam and 10 dollar computer mic.

Sorry I don't remember calling you a liar but the OP didnt mention in their post about wanting or needing to use an external mic. So, like I said, compared to other DSLR video modes; The 5D 2's sound beats out the competition, by a landslide. Pick up a D90 and make a video with that.. you might as well be using your webcam and 10 dollar computer mic.
I was kidding about the lying thing... the smile man, the smile. :D

I can't comment on the D90's audio quality, I'll take your word for it.

The 5DMk2's audio is not great IMHO. You can see an example for yourself at the YouTube link I provided. Mine is no different than hers... which I would say isn't all that great.

If I were using the 5D for any type of semi-serious to serious work, I would get a decent external mic for it to get rid of the background noise it produces/captures.

I was about to ask what the use in that was as then where would your flash go -- till I relised that if one were shooting film you would not be using a flash for lighting (unless you have some seriously good batteries)

But for the user switching between still and film it could be handy to use a flashbracket to hold the mic so that you can have a flash attached for when you want to do stills with it

Take a look here The Sweet Sounds of the Canon 5D Mark II | B&H Photo Video Pro Audio

Most reactions

New Topics

Back