5D Mark lll or 1d X

No I have no idea what you're talking about. But whatever, I don't care/it doesn't matter. I don't think 61 autofocus points or dual slots for cards are worth anything close to $1500 for shooting still portrait subjects as a non-professional. You apparently disagree.

Okay, great. Don't see much else to say. There's no objective method of comparing those two positions. OP can flip a coin or follow his spirit guide or go try them out in a shop himself or whatever seems best *shrug*
Gonna go watch some TV and edit some pictures and drink some delicious cherry juice chia fresca.

Now hear this;

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the feedback. I mean it. Very interesting and insightful.

I've decided on the 5D Mlll. I need the extra durability and weatherproofing for the type of portraits I do.

As you were.

I've never played with the 1DX, though the OP seems to have come to his conclusion.

I won't argue that the 6D is a better camera than the 5DmkIII, though the 6D will focus better in low light (-3ev). But I will say I recently purchased a 6D for my own (non professional) shooting where the other major Canon contenders were the 70D and 5DmkIII. It was a difficult choice, as each camera in the list brought something to the table.

The 6D , in addition to being >$1k cheaper on its own, included wifi and GPS in that price.

I think I'm personally unlikely to miss dual slots (especially since one is CF, and I'd have to buy expensive CF cards just for that camera); though it's possible I'll lose an SD card full of awesome pics I just took on a one-time event. I *will* miss the extra AF points though, truth be told, I am most often shooting in single-point focus. 10% more MP? If that were important enough, I'd be in Nikon. 100% Viewfinder? Would have been nice.

I do feel that Canon deliberately crippled the 6D for strategic reasons, and if someone offered me an even trade for a 5DmkIII I'm pretty sure I'd take it; but it is a camera that is better in at least one-or-two ways that matter to me.

A serious question. Will there any improvement between a 70 and 5D in a control studio environment for head shot and portrait photos? (Assume studio space is not the limitation factor for now)

I can tell you 5D focusing system destroys that of the 6D.
Considering my 6D never misses focus in a simple straightforward portrait studio environment with controlled lighting, this is not possible.
You can't blow perfect performance for the task out of the water, it doesn't make any sense.

You also dismissed the extra memory card slot.
I have acknowledged that is an advantage all along. But for a non-pro (assuming he is one), who is unlikely to often have a memory card with anything close to $1500 worth of photos on it, it is not logical to pay an extra $1500 for memory card insurance.
And if he is a pro, I already suggested he get the more expensive cameras.

It adds weight to any argument you might have.
No it doesn't. If a given camera already performs better than you need in a given task, it makes no difference how much better another one is. Therefore it is irrelevant how much you do or do not have experience with it either way. If they sold a camera that cost $3000 more, and was able to track fast moving objects 12x faster, and had 250 AF cross points up to f/8, and transformed into a pontoon bridge when needed? It wouldn't matter if I only shoot portraits, and I could confidently decide not to buy it, even if I had never touched one.

Just like I don't buy bank vault doors for my apartment, or titanium disc brakes and shocks for my bike that I only use to commute 15 minutes to work with, or liquid helium cooling for my desktop computer, or whatever. Even though I've never tested any of those things.
Your 6D never misses focus? I am going to raise the BS flag on that one. That is like saying I have never faked the big "O."

I am not a professional, though if the opportunity arose I'd probabbly give it a shot. But I would never do event photography. Scares the hell outta me. That's a lot of responsibility. A headshot or portrait can be retaken.

You guys are a wealth of information. I didn't know I was asking such a controversional question. Although I can tell you guys all respect each other and it's just friendly bantor. But it was a little like having asked "what is better, Mac or Windows?" (we all know it's Mac, right?).

Have a great day guys. :)

kathyt said:
Your 6D never misses focus? I am going to raise the BS flag on that one. That is like saying I have never faked the big "O."

As in so many cases in which the Big "O" is faked to get it over with, we just want to put a stop to this thread...

As in so many cases in which the Big "O" is faked to get it over with, we just want to put a stop to this thread...

Sorry but I like to keep a thread going until it delivers. Sometimes you have to switch tactics, change your position etc... But never give up!

Sorry but I like to keep a thread going until it delivers. Sometimes you have to switch tactics, change your position etc... But never give up!
Do we have an expert on this subject?

I just changed the man. It worked perfectly!

I can tell you 5D focusing system destroys that of the 6D.
Considering my 6D never misses focus in a simple straightforward portrait studio environment with controlled lighting, this is not possible.
You can't blow perfect performance for the task out of the water, it doesn't make any sense.

I have acknowledged that is an advantage all along. But for a non-pro (assuming he is one), who is unlikely to often have a memory card with anything close to $1500 worth of photos on it, it is not logical to pay an extra $1500 for memory card insurance.
And if he is a pro, I already suggested he get the more expensive cameras.

It adds weight to any argument you might have.
No it doesn't. If a given camera already performs better than you need in a given task, it makes no difference how much better another one is. Therefore it is irrelevant how much you do or do not have experience with it either way. If they sold a camera that cost $3000 more, and was able to track fast moving objects 12x faster, and had 250 AF cross points up to f/8, and transformed into a pontoon bridge when needed? It wouldn't matter if I only shoot portraits, and I could confidently decide not to buy it, even if I had never touched one.

Just like I don't buy bank vault doors for my apartment, or titanium disc brakes and shocks for my bike that I only use to commute 15 minutes to work with, or liquid helium cooling for my desktop computer, or whatever. Even though I've never tested any of those things.
But..................But....................But.......last night you told me you never fake anything.:cry::biglaugh:

That's not what I wrote. I said the 6D never misses focus in a portrait studio with controlled lighting. And indeed it doesn't.

Since he said headshots, studio seemed likely. The OP has since then implied, however, that he shoots mainly outside the studio and in adverse conditions, and in that case, the 5DIII does indeed provide meaningful advantages in waterproofing and impact resistance, etc. Possibly AF too, if he's counting sports as "portraiture" or taking portraits of people jumping off cliffs or something.

I think that was probably a reasonable choice.

Most reactions

Back