5D MkII

pbelarge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased a 5DMkII, 3 weeks old, 1150 actuations with 11 months warranty and saved $450...not bad.:thumbup:

I am interested in some prime lenses, but I need more experience shooting with them. I am thinking of renting the 85L., 135L and a TS-E 45.

I wonder if taking my cameras to BH and playing a little there with the lenses would be good enough to make a sound judgement of what to purchase?

As of now, the only lenses I am sure that I am going to keep are my 50 1.4, and my 10-22. I am very happy with both of them.

I may sell my 16-35L, 24-70L, and 70-300f/4-5.6 -to help fund some other purchases. First I will spend some time shooting these with the new camera.

you still have a cropped sensor? Isnt 10-22 for cropped only?

Nice score!!!!!! Woo-hoo! $450 savings and 11 m os. warranty? NICE!!!!

The 135-L is a nice lens...Solid...lightish....compact....sharp...focuses great. It's a no-brainer as far as "is it worth the price" and things like that.

The TS-E 45 seems to be one of Canon's absolute finest lenses...the reviews of it make me salivate. AND it'd be a fantastic lens for landscapes. I'm not sure if it is mechanically compatible with the Canon 1.4x teleconverter or 2x converters, but I'd think about using the 45 with the 1.4x and 2x, stopped down, as a viable lens for some of that cool T/S look stuff. Seems like the 45 TS-E is a real feather in Canon's cap.

Honestly, I think if you trial the 85-L versus the 85/1.8, you'll end up buying the faster-focusing,lighter,smaller f/1.8...where the 135-L is a no-brainer, the 85-L is a difficult decision and has a lot of plusses and a significant amount of minuses as well,like slow AF, bulk, and well, on FF the mechanical vignetting (causing cat's eye bokeh) on the FF Canon's makes using the lens at wide apertures kind of a losing proposition if ou want the best,prettiest bokeh.

But, yeah, $450 shaved off AND 11 mos. warranty...sweet deal!

you still have a cropped sensor? Isnt 10-22 for cropped only?

Schwettylens
Yes, it is for cropped only, but I love this lens and plan on keeping the 7D.
This lens is sharp, crazy wide and the color renditions are beautiful.

Thanks Derrel
I do plan on using the TS-E for landscapes - when I actually learn how. But my greater interest is in the use of architectural photos. I live around some really GREAT architectural shooting opportunities. NYC, White Plains, Yonkers, Westchester County. Not too far from Philidelphia as well and other great places.

Is there any other tid bits you can help me with this lens in regards to architectural?

even compared to 5d II with the 16-35L?

even compared to 5d II with the 16-35L?

I have not shot with this combo yet.
I will let you know. I would almost hate to see it be better since I really like the 10-22, but that would be senseless huh? :mrgreen:

You know, a lot of architectural shooters have switched away from their 4x5s to the Canon d-slrs, due to the high-quality sensors and the 24/45/90 TS-E lineup. I was reading the blog of a Southwest-based architectural shooter occasionally, last year, and he commented that he had almost entirely hung up his 4x5 kit. He was pretty pleased with their 24mm and 45mm lenses...

I read the dPreview review of the 45 TS-E and was having a major Jonesin for it, and even went down to the shop here in town and demo'd the thing....dah-um...it's schweet!!! I'm not interested in architectural photography at all, and know very little about it except how to use a 4x5 to correct perspective distortion, but I would think that the 24mm might be more useful in close quarters, just due to the angle of view. For me, what I see from the 45 TS-E is a beautiful "natural" image look. 45mm is almost the perfect diagonal of 24x36,and it gives a you-are-there look; not wide-angle, and not short telephoto, but a very natural, as-seen-by-the-human-eye foreground to background look. I've seen a number of younger creative advertising type shooters using the 45mm TS-E for beautiful landscape/lifestyle/editorial type work, and I have to say I am pretty impressed by the high lens performance figures AND the images the 45 TS-E turns in; it is new, sophisticated, and costly, and optical and mechanical excellence are two things it seems to have in spades.

I don't know if the 45mm would be wide-angle enough for YOUR needs WRT to architectural photography, but from a pictorial/people/scenic POV, the 45mm focal length is one I really like. I have the Nikkor 45/2.8-P, which is an excellent lens for close-range shooting,and the focal length is one that agrees with my inner eye. I'm sure the 45 TS/E could be put to good use, and if you do not like it, it will be a high-resale value lens for many years.

Of course ...the L with 5dmk2 is better ... you do not need the 10-22 anymore .. that is a junk lens .. just ship that 10-22 to me ... Don't worry, there is not handling charge!

:roll:

Of course ...the L with 5dmk2 is better ... you do not need the 10-22 anymore .. that is a junk lens .. just ship that 10-22 to me ... Don't worry, there is not handling charge!

Is tomorrow soon enough??? :mrgreen:

I trust your posts, so at first I was like...what???

Is tomorrow soon enough??? :mrgreen:

I trust your posts, so at first I was like...what???

Cool ... I will be sitting outside my house patiently waiting ....:lmao:

I really like my 85mm f/1.8. For the cost, it is really a great lens.

Also, you may want to take a look at this
Canon Digital Photography Forums

if i shot canon, the prime's i'd get would be the 24mm f/1.4LII, 85mm f/1.2L, and the 50mm f/1.4.

the 24mm f/1.4L would for sure be the first one i'd get.

Get the 85mm f/1.8 over the f/1.2. The price difference will fund the wonderful 135L. The f/1.2 is a speciality lens and the 85mm f/1.8 (along with the 135L) are among my favorites.

Sorry... no opinion regarding the TS 24mm.

The list of primes I enjoyed the most: 24L, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 135L, and 300 f4L. Wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

Thanks Derrel
I do plan on using the TS-E for landscapes - when I actually learn how. But my greater interest is in the use of architectural photos. I live around some really GREAT architectural shooting opportunities. NYC, White Plains, Yonkers, Westchester County. Not too far from Philidelphia as well and other great places.

Is there any other tid bits you can help me with this lens in regards to architectural?

I have the Nikon 45 mm PC-E (similar to the Canon 45 mm TS-E) and a PC Super Angulon 28 mm shift lens, both of which I use on a D3. The 45 mm is usually too long for whole-building architectural work - a 24 mm or 28 mm is definitely better. I mostly use 24 mm equivalent and 17 mm equivalent shift lenses for architectural photography (I still shoot large format), and those are the focal lengths I would recommend to start with for 'full frame'. The 45 mm PC-E is still useful for architecture and cityscapes - just not for complete buildings. I like the natural perspective of the 45, so that is the lens I usually carry around NYC during the day if I am not working.

Best,
Helen

This is an example of what I use the 45 for around NYC. It's easy to use hand-held when shifted (rise, in this case).

45714_104059179655749_100001550020098_29245_1442405_n.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back