5dMKII or wait for the 60D/7D

CxThree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I am beginning to look at what I will use for my next camera body. I just gave my rebel XT to my brother and it was my backup camera. I plan on moving the 40D to a backup role later this year and getting a new body. I am torn though.

Part of me wants to get the 5D MKII. I have never had a full frame camera and the 5DMKII looks like a great camera. The high ISO performance I have seen is amazing. I am currently learning all I can about the statements I see here in regards to it's slower focusing.

The other part of me says to get the new 60D or 7D or whatever it is goign to be called. It sounds like a great camera also. I am not sure if it would have the great high ISO performance as with the 5DMKII. From the RUMORS, it looks like it will have most of the smae features of the 5DMKII.

So, I am currently in the mode of waiting for the 60D and then making a decision. However, I would like your thoughts on the decision. I know some people here use the 5DMKII. What are your thoughts on this? Is the slower autofocusing issue a large problem? I know nobody can really comment on the 60D as all we have it rumors. If you do know anything or have heard anything that can help, please share it.

In other words, help me spend my bonus wisely this year. 5DMKII or 60D and lenses or pocket wizards. :)

One argument I could make for you getting the 5D is that you don't seem to have a major investment in EF-S glass. That is what is probably going to send me in the 60D direction.

Ian

get a 5DII if you can, the 5DIII won't be out for probably a long while.

I guess it depends on a couple of factors.

I love my 5DMk2 but I rarely take it out of the studio environment. I also prefer it for shooting weddings. But for everything else I use my 1DMk3. When I go walking around the city looking for random things, I take the 1D. Why? Because the AF system is light years ahead of the 5DMk2. It also shoots much faster which comes in handy sometimes.

The 5DMk2 sucks at tracking moving objects or shooting things like sports. The AF is only reliable if you use the center point for focus If you rely on the outer points, you're going to find a lot of out of focus shots if they are taken in a dynamic setting.

But the images it produces really do blow anything else on the market away. People talk about the great ISO performance of the D700... well the 5DMk2 does just as good with twice as many pixels which is quite impressive. The one thing the D700 has that I wish the 5DMk2 had is and advanced AF system. But IQ wise, the 5Dmk2 bests the D700, and lots of people feel that way.

But don't let my bagging on the 5DMk2's AF system dissuade you. Once you get used to it, you can do just fine. I'm very comfortable with the system and find that I rarely miss shots. You'll quickly learn the limits of the AF system and learn to work with it.

I only plan on giving up my 5DMk2 for a 1DsMk4.

As for the 60D/7D - it's vaporware. If it's on the market when you have your bonus, consider it then. If it has the rumored improved AF system (11+ points) and shoots at 8fps as some suggest it might... and it has video that actually auto focuses while shooting... Hell, how could you say no to that? I might have to pick one up too! :)

I was torn between the 1DmkIII and 5DmkII. I went the 5DmkII route. I am keeping my 40D for sports shooting. Having a full frame and a crop sensor is like having 2 different sets of lenses. LOL There is a world of difference. I have actually shot BIF with 5DmkII, the autofocus isn't that bad..... And the files that the 5DmkII produces are AWESOME! I did some landscape work with it last week and could not believe it. If you like your 40D, you will fall out of your chair when you download those 5DmkII files. And like you mentioned, the high ISO performance is outstanding. Just tonight, I was chasing the cat around the house with the 5DII and the new 85L 1.2 at ISO 3200 and superfast shutter speeds. Just get it, you'll be amazed.

This may be a dumb question, but I will ask it anyway. :)

Is the AF system something that can be updated via firmware? I am thinking Canon mustg be aware of the complaints. Can they adjust it with an update?

I am a creature of habit. I started out using the center AF point for 99% of my shots and still find myself doing that today. I use that spot and recompose shots to get whatever look I want. SOunds like that will work with the 5DMKII.

Is the AF system something that can be updated via firmware? I am thinking Canon mustg be aware of the complaints. Can they adjust it with an update?

I am a creature of habit. I started out using the center AF point for 99% of my shots and still find myself doing that today. I use that spot and recompose shots to get whatever look I want. SOunds like that will work with the 5DMKII.
No, it can't be updated via firmware as the limitations of the system are due to the hardware.

If you're used to center point focus (which I am too), then you'll be fine. As I said, the outer points really do suck pretty badly, but the center point is rock solid. It's a great camera.

I was torn between the 1DmkIII and 5DmkII.
If I had to choose between my 1DMk3 or my 5DMk2, bye-bye 5DMk2. It wouldn't be a hard choice at all. The 1D simply blows it away, and honestly, I actually like the images the 1D produces a little better than the 5DMk2. Right out of the camera they are perfectly contrasty and the color is spot on (shooting RAW and importing via Lightroom 2). The 1.3x sensor is large enough to still make my wide angle lenses useful and the 100% view finder on the 1D is nothing short of amazing.

When the 1DsMk4 hits the streets and is actually available (and the price is reasonable - maybe a year in), I will sell the 5DMk2 and replace it with the 1Ds.

Like tharmsen said, It can not be updated by firmware. They are two different bodies with two different purposes. You don't buy a Porsche to hall fire wood and you don't buy a pickup truck to race at the Grand Prix of Monaco.

As for waiting it's up to you. Canon has not announced a 60D or a 70D. They are just speculation. They may introduce a whole new body line, only Canon knows for sure. When it comes out is also only speculation. How long are you going to wait? 15 minutes after the next body comes out it is going to be outdated, so why not wait for the next body after the 60D/70D or the one after that???

Or, you could get the current body that suits your style of photography now and be out there shooting instead of waiting and speculating. The choice is easy for me, and that is to shoot now.

The 5DMII is a nice studio body, but for me the 1Ds MIII out shines it in studio work and in price. :D

I think you missed my point. I have a 40D right now that works fine. I gave away my backup camera. So I will be looking to add a 2nd body at some point. I don't need to buy it immediately. I have access to other bodies at the studio I use so I am covered if my 40D goes down. I have a new kid at home and therefore do not have many gigs lined up other than some studio time. Therefore, I am looking at my options. I get a bonus in August, which is when the 60D is rumored to be announced. At that time I will be buying a new camera. My assumption is that these 2 will be my two options. Therefore, I am researching the 5DMKII now.

I think you missed my point. I have a 40D right now that works fine. I gave away my backup camera. So I will be looking to add a 2nd body at some point. I don't need to buy it immediately. I have access to other bodies at the studio I use so I am covered if my 40D goes down. I have a new kid at home and therefore do not have many gigs lined up other than some studio time. Therefore, I am looking at my options. I get a bonus in August, which is when the 60D is rumored to be announced. At that time I will be buying a new camera. My assumption is that these 2 will be my two options. Therefore, I am researching the 5DMKII now.

I got your point, but I'm not sure that your point is based on good fact/research. Will Canon produce new body models? Yes, either that or go out of the camera business, which is not likely.

I however have not heard or read a single credible rumor that Canon will in fact be making any body announcements in August. Canon tends to have a time frame for new bodies, but it is not nor has it ever been set in stone. My point was, are you going to wait to see if unsubstantiated rumors come true, or choose the best current option for your needs? That is a choice that only you can make.

If there was positive knowledge that Canon will be making an announcement in August then for me at least it would be a different story and the wait might be worth it.

Thanks for the information everyone. The 5DMKII is still on the top of the list.

On a side note, I missed out on a 1Ds MKIII today. A photography business here in town had it for sale. I went there and a guys was there buying it already. :( It was in good shape and they wanted $2850 for it.

But the images it produces really do blow anything else on the market away. People talk about the great ISO performance of the D700... well the 5DMk2 does just as good with twice as many pixels which is quite impressive. The one thing the D700 has that I wish the 5DMk2 had is and advanced AF system. But IQ wise, the 5Dmk2 bests the D700, and lots of people feel that way.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the D700 is alot more then just better AF then a 5D.

The 700 is alot closer to a smaller 1D then the 5D. AF, shooting rate, build quality, not to mention easy wireless speedlights..

But yeah, 5D is really for studio/good weather location, the D700 would be much better suited for pretty much everything else, sort of like your 1D, but not as clunky.

Thanks for the information everyone. The 5DMKII is still on the top of the list.

On a side note, I missed out on a 1Ds MKIII today. A photography business here in town had it for sale. I went there and a guys was there buying it already. :( It was in good shape and they wanted $2850 for it.

:grumpy: Bummer.... That would have been a killer of a deal to get a 1Ds MkIII for that price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back