5K to spend for new Camera and Gear

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As some of you might know from my other thread I lost my D7100. Despite what the outcome is (repairable or not) it will be traded in to get a new camera and lenses. So all of my current DX lenses (listed in my signature) will be traded in or sold except the 105mm.

I've already decided I want to get the D750.. it's the lenses I'm still learning about and looking for suggestions. I shoot Landscape, Architecture and Floral mostly, and looking to cover say 11-200 range.

(to help give you an idea of what I shoot Dan Girard)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

the D750 is what i would get for sure if i were getting a full frame. good choice. if i had to buy all new lenses again again i and i would consider these lenses..

1. 18-XXmm sigma art lens, they are fast and sharp lenses, i guess with full frame you would be looking at the 24-XXmm art lens. i would check out some reviews on youtube of them if you think one of those may interest you. looks like there are a few things that bother people with these lenses like some vignetting when shooting at the wider angles on a full frame camera but over all people seem to love the IQ and sharpness they are getting. if you get the sigma usb dock you can update firmware or change settings on the lenses. there are a few different art lenses with different focal lengths, i just love the idea of having a lens that is fast and really sharp that would work well for most types of everyday shooting.

2. the nikon 70-300mm VRII lens, its a great lens that i think would really come in handy for allot of things, people seem to love them, my friend has one and it definitely has some awesome IQ.

3. 150-600mm sigma or tamron lens or a 150-500mm sigma lens, that is if you need a lens with that kind of zoom.. i have the sigma 150-500mm lens and i have been happy with it. i just picked up the sigma 150-600mm sport lens, it was expensive but its super sharp and i have got a few amazing images out of it and the lightning has been pretty bad so far since i have got the lens. cant wait to try it on a nice sunny day with good lightning.

also if you want some fast prime lenses you can get some 1.4-1.8 nikon 35mm, 50mm ect prime lenses that are optically awesome without a focus motor used for cheap..

the D750 is what i would get for sure if i were getting a full frame. good choice. if i had to buy all new lenses again again i and i would consider these lenses..

1. 18-XXmm sigma art lens, they are fast and sharp lenses, i guess with full frame you would be looking at the 24-XXmm art lens. i would check out some reviews on youtube of them if you think one of those may interest you. looks like there are a few things that bother people with these lenses like some vignetting when shooting at the wider angles on a full frame camera but over all people seem to love the IQ and sharpness they are getting. if you get the sigma usb dock you can update firmware or change settings on the lenses. there are a few different art lenses with different focal lengths, i just love the idea of having a lens that is fast and really sharp that would work well for most types of everyday shooting.

2. the nikon 70-300mm VRII lens, its a great lens that i think would really come in handy for allot of things, people seem to love them, my friend has one and it definitely has some awesome IQ.

3. 150-600mm sigma or tamron lens or a 150-500mm sigma lens, that is if you need a lens with that kind of zoom.. i have the sigma 150-500mm lens and i have been happy with it. i just picked up the sigma 150-600mm sport lens, it was expensive but its super sharp and i have got a few amazing images out of it and the lightning has been pretty bad so far since i have got the lens. cant wait to try it on a nice sunny day with good lightning.

also if you want some fast prime lenses you can get some 1.4-1.8 nikon 35mm, 50mm ect prime lenses that are optically awesome without a focus motor used for cheap..

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I haven't looked at the Sigma Art Lenses but I've heard nothing but good reviews on them. I'll see how they compare with Nikon and Tamron (rated better then Nikons these days).

You say you want 11-200 cover on lenses. Is that going by what your crop system gave you. Field of view changes with full frame as you know, so are you actually looking for 16-300 type coverage?

You say you want 11-200 cover on lenses. Is that going by what your crop system gave you. Field of view changes with full frame as you know, so are you actually looking for 16-300 type coverage?

Yes pretty much... Ultra Wide to Telephoto... I'll eventually get the 150-600 from Sigma and then I'll be done with the lens hunt.

2 friends of mine recently bought the d750 with the 24-120f4 kit lens. Both love it and I think it's a very versatile capable lens.

If bought in a kit it is also affordable.

Throw a sigma 150-600 with that and you'd still have loads of change to buy a great wide angle if you skipped the xx-300 lens

I"m actually looking at getting the Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC USD and the Tamron 24-70 Di VC USD when I pick up the D750... Sound like a good choice. Then I'll just need the 70-200.

Sounds very nice

Since you shoot a lot of landscape and architecture do you really have a need for f/2.8? I do a lost of landscape/cityscape/nature with a D750 and I use the following:

Nikon 16-35 f/4
Sigma Art 24-105 f/4
Sigma 105 f/2.8 Macro
Nikon 70-300 VR f/4.5-5.6
Sigma Contemporary 150-600

I also have a Nikon 50 f/1.8 (as well as the Sigma 105) if I need something less than f/4 for any reason. The Sigma 24-105 is amazing on the 750 and has become my most used lens.

FWIW when I used DX I had pretty much the same lens lineup you currently have and I noticed that didn't use 2.8 very often, which is why I went with the above lenses (especially the 16-35 and 24-105). The 70-300 was pretty good on the DX camera, but I found the 750 really breathed new life into it. I was going to replace it with a 70-200 f/4, but certainly don't feel in a hurry to do so now.

D750 with
Tamron 15-30
Sigma 24-70
and Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR

Trblmkr, is your name Dan by any chance?

I recently went up from d5100 to a 750 +24 70mm f2.8 & 70 200 mm f2.8 and there heavy after 6 to 8 hrs compared to DX lenses but I just need to muscle up a bit. :eek-31:

Since you have a macro already the angle the Tamron 70 200 has of macro capability may be irrelevant to you so that leaves sigma or nikon on the other hand you may want all your lenses to be one brand. Will the sale monies of the DX's be a factor in your budget.

I would look at the wide zoom and the type of sunstar patter its diaphragm creates, selecting between the 15-30mm Tamron and the 16-35 Nikkor VR-G. For the tele zoom, the Tamron 70-200mm VC.

Most reactions

Back