5x4 Large Format Camera Recommendations?

StanKubrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been shooting film for the past few years, and have finally decided to jump over to 5x4 large format. Im not really sure which camera to start with. I've heard all kinds of things about different models being better for various styles, but what im looking for is a field camera, and more for the use of portraiture of people, so quite close focal lengths, as low an aperture as possible (I've also heard that its quite common for large format lenses to have fairly high f numbers, starting at about f 9-11), and a focus thats going to let me get quite near the subject, the medium format camera i've got at the moment dosnt let me get closer than about a meter. Other than that id prefer a wooden body as its a bit prettier than a plastic one. Price no more than £500.

Thanks

What about starting with something like a Speed Graphic? They can be found for little to no investment at all and I've found it to be a good way to get my feet wet. If I find that I fully enjoy 4x5 I'll look into something a little more advanced, and if I dont, then I'm only out about $150 and some Sobo glue.

If you are using it for more still life/studio work then maybe look into a Sinar 4x5? It's a rail camera but it's still in production today, made out of metal, and costs less than $500.

Mr. Kubrick - bear in mind that with a view camera, you do not need to rely as much on small aperture in order to get sharp depth of field. By properly tilting the front movement, you can obtain sharp focus at optimum aperture.

Also, field cameras typically have more limited movements, especially rear movements, and many have pretty substantial yaw, which can be a pain. While perhaps most view cameras in your price range wont be "yaw free" a field camera which obtains tilt by dropping the focus rails will be more off axis than a monorail.

On the other hand, monorails cameras are a bit of a pain to carry around, so if you're not in the studio a field camera is probably best.

If you're really looking into 4x5 for resolution and not movements, consider a Graflex RB Super B.

Of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't recommend you take a look at the Fuji GX680. Not 4x5, but it does have front movements.

Last edited:
Speed graphic + Areo Ektar !

I love my Tachihara, but that Shen Hao looks pretty sweet too..... Also, I recommend calling it 4x5 :)
I would not get a Graphic unless you are looking to shoot hand-held and then get a speed graphic, but make sure it comes with the original lens that the rangefinder is calibrated for.

I love my Tachihara, but that Shen Hao looks pretty sweet too..... Also, I recommend calling it 4x5 :)
I would not get a Graphic unless you are looking to shoot hand-held and then get a speed graphic, but make sure it comes with the original lens that the rangefinder is calibrated for.

Calibrating a speed graphics side rangefinder is easy. Top rangefinder not so much

Most reactions

Back