60D O m g ...

I suggest cursing at it and then throwing on the floor. :wink:

If you shot Nikon, I'd happily loan you my D5100 if yours had to go to the shop for repair. We'll all be hoping the camera store has a quick fix for it, but if not: Maybe you could get a cheap, older Canon off Ebay or something while yours is in the shop, then resell it when yours is back so you wouldn't be out that much money.

If you shot Nikon, I'd happily loan you my D5100 if yours had to go to the shop for repair. We'll all be hoping the camera store has a quick fix for it, but if not: Maybe you could get a cheap, older Canon off Ebay or something while yours is in the shop, then resell it when yours is back so you wouldn't be out that much money.
or film??! When mine was in the shop I did film. It was fun! Hope its something relatively inexpensive to fix!

Sorry for your misfortune. If you lived within driving distance I could loan you my 50D. However you might consider renting one. Here's a link I found:

Rent Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR $80 for 2 weeks

There are many other sites but the ones I looked at were more expensive. Also, if you could be happy with a less expensive camera the rates would be even less. Hope this helps a little.

Ha Mish! I assure you there was cursing (after I got over that sudden sinking feeling in my stomach...) lol

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions all. Here is where I'm at, IF my baby has to go for service I have my AE1 Program IF I get this first film developed and there are no light leaks or issues with the camera, I'm just waiting on the darkroom supplies to get here in the next week or so.

Now that is great but I am just starting to learn shooting film and not only is it just starting to be spring outside with new critters waking up and arriving home every day I have a trip to Toronto on April 4th, this really puts a kink in things!

So for starters fingers and toes crossed that my baby is only a little hurt and doesn't have to go away for a long time, if that doesn't work, fingers and toes crossed that the AE1 is functioning properly.

I'll have to put some thought into whether I can afford a replacement DSLR of some description when I know how much this repair is going to cost, I suspect I'll be on a crash course in film shooting this spring camera gods willing lol.

There are only 2 moving parts in your 6D that might make a seizing noise (rttttt) and both are moved by motors: the mirror assembly, and the shutter curtains.
That the camera did not give you an error code and won't power up is odd, but may indicate a short circuit has fried some of the camera's electronics.

Please update the thread when you hear back from the repair shop.

Last edited:
Hooooooooold the phone! I pulled out my receipt and it appears I purchased Henry's 3yr extended warranty....

Good thing you checked. Hopefully they will fix it for free if nothing else works for you. I hope it all gets sorted out quickly for you

I am with Runnah, and hoping it is just a faulty battery.

An inexpensive test is to purchase a 3rd party battery and see if it does the trick.

Do you happen to use a grip / 3rd party grip?

My camera does this sensor cleaning thing (I have no idea how it does it) when waking up or turning off-does the 60D too? Glad you got the warranty, that's gonna help.

Thanks Keith, I will be sure to update the thread with the outcome, I suspected it was one of those two things, just didn't want to admit it to myself yet lol VERY glad I bought the extended warranty, at least this way I have better footing to jump off of!
Have I said how horrible that sound was? ugh!

John, nah, I'm a Canon gal ;)

Jaca, thanks! I don't have a grip etc... just the one Canon battery.

Mini, the 60D (normally) does it at shutdown.

Most reactions

Back