66 Volkswagen

Je-C

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
je-c.smugmug.com
9723553-L.jpg

Hope this works. Critique a photo of my car.

Very 'snapshotty'. Get lower to the ground, it will make it oodles more interesting. The gas can(?) on top is very distracting, as is the tube over the passenger window. If you want to do a really great car shot of this I'd recommend removing both, even if only for the photo shoot.

The lighting is very harsh. Looks pretty late morning. I'd recommend shooting at dawn or dusk as the warmth of the light will really help.

Last but not least use a fairly shallow DOF, that way the background won't be in focus. Focus on say the antenna and then only the antenna, and whatever is in front of the antenna will be in focus.

jadin said:
Very 'snapshotty'. Get lower to the ground, it will make it oodles more interesting. The gas can(?) on top is very distracting, as is the tube over the passenger window. If you want to do a really great car shot of this I'd recommend removing both, even if only for the photo shoot.

The lighting is very harsh. Looks pretty late morning. I'd recommend shooting at dawn or dusk as the warmth of the light will really help.

Last but not least use a fairly shallow DOF, that way the background won't be in focus. Focus on say the antenna and then only the antenna, and whatever is in front of the antenna will be in focus.

Well, I think this pretty much covers it. :wink: Love the car! I want a mid sixties VW bus, but can't find anyone to sell me one at my price. :(

Thanks for the comments, it's how I'll learn and improve. I have to use a digital camera until I return from the desert so I can't really control DOF much. The tube over the passenger window is a swamp cooler which is a fairly valuable accessory. The red box on top is a cooler that says "Pleasure Chest."

As far as a photo of a classic is concerned, I think you've done a good job. You documented the car as you have it. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I know for a fact my husband would be drooling over this photograph. As for me... I appreciate the car, but not necessarily the art in the photograph. Try doing car shots close to sundown... the low sun combined with the warm light works extremely well on cars, and adds richness to the reflections.

Most reactions

Back