6x6 goodness

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I JUST went into the kitchen and tested my "Pocket Light Meter" application for iPhone against my Minolta AutoMeter IIIf. At ISO 400 and at 2 seconds, I used the Minolta to meter the front of the refrigerator in reflected light mode...Reading? f/22.2 at 2 seconds, ISO 400.

Then I used Pocket Light Meter,on my iPhone, from the same distance....Reading? f/22.0 at 2 seconds at ISO 400. Notice that the overhead flourescent fixture rendered a slightly greenish color? The built-in screen capture "HOLD" of Pocket Light Meter did not give a really great white balance. But what's cool is you can HOLD a picture of the screen, with the metering area bracket in red, and save that for reference by screen-capping with the Home button and the shutoff button on iPhone.

$Pocket Light Meter test capture.jpg

Here's the first comparison I did, and the screen capture showing the EXACT area I metered with Pocket Light Meter. I hung the Minolta upside down from the kitchen wall clock. As you can see, pretty close. Keep in min d, in this test, the Miolta is reading f/16 INCIDENT, and Pocket Light Meter is suggesting f/18 for an 18% gray rendering of a mostly black area. Look at the white dome. It's rendered nicely, and looks white. I would set the camera to f/18 MINUS 1.5 full f/stops to make the meter look black when shooting B&W negative material with normal development if I had spot-metered the black meter face.$Pocket Light Meter vs Minolta.jpg

Pocket Light Meter allows the user to compile a library of meter readouts AND at the same time, the camera function allows the user to capture the scenes/locations/lighting that was there at the time of the metering, complete with the red metering area indicated right on each screen capture.

Last edited:

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'm impressed at the accuracy

OP
limr

limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is that an app that's available for Android phones? I don't - and won't - have an iPhone. I do use a different app that has served me well so far for the times I've wanted to meter, but it's good to have other options.

For now, I've got a 4th roll in the C330 that's itching to be exposed :)

Alexandra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I think the exposure is spot-on on the first one.
Nice compositions too.

I'm starting to think of getting into medium format myself, looking at all this... :O

OP
limr

limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks Alexandra!

Definitely go medium format. It's just a beautiful thing. It hasn't diminished my love of 35mm, but just satisfies a different photographic itch. And hopefully one day, I'll get to scratch the LF itch :)

Alexandra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
You know, I wouldn't hesitate a second, and I wouldn't even care about how much it could cost or how difficult it would be to obtain materials...
But my 35mm camera is my one and only, and sort of a family heirloom piece ^_^

Maybe I could get a MF and only take it to planned shoots though... hmmm yes... yes...

OP
limr

limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
You know, I wouldn't hesitate a second, and I wouldn't even care about how much it could cost or how difficult it would be to obtain materials...
But my 35mm camera is my one and only, and sort of a family heirloom piece ^_^

Maybe I could get a MF and only take it to planned shoots though... hmmm yes... yes...

I'm not sure you'd even have a choice to do otherwise - most MF cameras are definitely not the 'throw into a bag and go' sorts of cameras ;) There are some MF folders that are much more portable, but TLRs and medium-format SLRs have some serious heft!

Alexandra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right...
But as a matter of fact as long as my cameras aren't interchangeable, I'll be just fine. I hate choosing :p

gsgary

Reaction score
Website
www.gsgary.smugmug.com
Photos OK to edit
Thanks Alexandra!

Definitely go medium format. It's just a beautiful thing. It hasn't diminished my love of 35mm, but just satisfies a different photographic itch. And hopefully one day, I'll get to scratch the LF itch :)

I would never give up 35mm because it is such a pleasure with my Leicas

OP
limr

limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks Alexandra!

I would never give up 35mm because it is such a pleasure with my Leicas

I wouldn't either. I still love 35mm. I wouldn't replace 35mm, but just add to it :)

Rick58

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
For me, I seldom did B&W 35mm. Practically all my B&W was medium and large format while color was reserved for 35mm

Tiller

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I just lost out on a LF auction on eBay. Probably for the best :p

Most reactions

New Topics