6x6 goodness

I JUST went into the kitchen and tested my "Pocket Light Meter" application for iPhone against my Minolta AutoMeter IIIf. At ISO 400 and at 2 seconds, I used the Minolta to meter the front of the refrigerator in reflected light mode...Reading? f/22.2 at 2 seconds, ISO 400.

Then I used Pocket Light Meter,on my iPhone, from the same distance....Reading? f/22.0 at 2 seconds at ISO 400. Notice that the overhead flourescent fixture rendered a slightly greenish color? The built-in screen capture "HOLD" of Pocket Light Meter did not give a really great white balance. But what's cool is you can HOLD a picture of the screen, with the metering area bracket in red, and save that for reference by screen-capping with the Home button and the shutoff button on iPhone.

$Pocket Light Meter test capture.jpg

Here's the first comparison I did, and the screen capture showing the EXACT area I metered with Pocket Light Meter. I hung the Minolta upside down from the kitchen wall clock. As you can see, pretty close. Keep in min d, in this test, the Miolta is reading f/16 INCIDENT, and Pocket Light Meter is suggesting f/18 for an 18% gray rendering of a mostly black area. Look at the white dome. It's rendered nicely, and looks white. I would set the camera to f/18 MINUS 1.5 full f/stops to make the meter look black when shooting B&W negative material with normal development if I had spot-metered the black meter face.$Pocket Light Meter vs Minolta.jpg

Pocket Light Meter allows the user to compile a library of meter readouts AND at the same time, the camera function allows the user to capture the scenes/locations/lighting that was there at the time of the metering, complete with the red metering area indicated right on each screen capture.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'm impressed at the accuracy

Is that an app that's available for Android phones? I don't - and won't - have an iPhone. I do use a different app that has served me well so far for the times I've wanted to meter, but it's good to have other options.

For now, I've got a 4th roll in the C330 that's itching to be exposed :)

I think the exposure is spot-on on the first one.
Nice compositions too.

I'm starting to think of getting into medium format myself, looking at all this... :O

Thanks Alexandra!

Definitely go medium format. It's just a beautiful thing. It hasn't diminished my love of 35mm, but just satisfies a different photographic itch. And hopefully one day, I'll get to scratch the LF itch :)

You know, I wouldn't hesitate a second, and I wouldn't even care about how much it could cost or how difficult it would be to obtain materials...
But my 35mm camera is my one and only, and sort of a family heirloom piece ^_^

Maybe I could get a MF and only take it to planned shoots though... hmmm yes... yes...

You know, I wouldn't hesitate a second, and I wouldn't even care about how much it could cost or how difficult it would be to obtain materials...
But my 35mm camera is my one and only, and sort of a family heirloom piece ^_^

Maybe I could get a MF and only take it to planned shoots though... hmmm yes... yes...

I'm not sure you'd even have a choice to do otherwise - most MF cameras are definitely not the 'throw into a bag and go' sorts of cameras ;) There are some MF folders that are much more portable, but TLRs and medium-format SLRs have some serious heft!

Yeah, you're right...
But as a matter of fact as long as my cameras aren't interchangeable, I'll be just fine. I hate choosing :p

Thanks Alexandra!

Definitely go medium format. It's just a beautiful thing. It hasn't diminished my love of 35mm, but just satisfies a different photographic itch. And hopefully one day, I'll get to scratch the LF itch :)

I would never give up 35mm because it is such a pleasure with my Leicas

Thanks Alexandra!

I would never give up 35mm because it is such a pleasure with my Leicas

I wouldn't either. I still love 35mm. I wouldn't replace 35mm, but just add to it :)

For me, I seldom did B&W 35mm. Practically all my B&W was medium and large format while color was reserved for 35mm

I just lost out on a LF auction on eBay. Probably for the best :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back